Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I grew up with my brother being my carer, had an accident and hes now disabled so we’re on benefits and council home. I’ve just gone to university and adult life is starting to hit. I’m just a first year but even with transport in London it’s so annoying and I wish I took advantage of my free oyster honestly. When I graduate, how will I afford to live in a house? I’m in the health field so my training year would be about 18k, how can I get mortgage if I barely have any money? Do I end up homeless, can I live with my brothers council home or will I end up having to pay for it with my £100 a week. I searched online and was told even £40k is hard to live by??? This is honestly news to me I’ve been absolutely oblivious to this all.
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I grew up with my brother being my carer, had an accident and hes now disabled so we’re on benefits and council home. I’ve just gone to university and adult life is starting to hit. I’m just a first year but even with transport in London it’s so annoying and I wish I took advantage of my free oyster honestly. When I graduate, how will I afford to live in a house? I’m in the health field so my training year would be about 18k, how can I get mortgage if I barely have any money? Do I end up homeless, can I live with my brothers council home or will I end up having to pay for it with my £100 a week. I searched online and was told even £40k is hard to live by??? This is honestly news to me I’ve been absolutely oblivious to this all.
You can survive on a lot less than that.You can stay with your brother and contribute to the rent and bills and food or rent a room in a house or flat share with others.Most people have to work for years to save up a deposit on a house.I8,000 is a lot more than£ 100 a week .It is more like £320 a week after tax and NI.You may meet someone in the future who you want to live with or marry and then you can pool your resources which gives you more options.For now concentrate on your studies and at least your career should have plenty of job opportunities.Sorry to hear about your brother's accident.Have you looked into student discounts for travel btw.
khushi.sumaria
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
How did you get a free oyster card?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by khushi.sumaria)
How did you get a free oyster card?
Last year I was 17, the college Oyster card is free on buses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.58%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.58%

Watched Threads