should I be embarrsaed if I retake English Language in sixth form

Watch
peteryoungy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Guys I think I have failed English Language. Most likely I have failed. Do you think I should be embarrassed about it? I really wanted to go to my own school sixth form but I don’t want to be judged. In my year a lot of people know that I studied a lot and that I am smart.
But like 2 or 3 once said that I study a lot but I am not smart which is true. I know its my reality but don’t want to be going through that until november. I don’t want to be judged about it.

If I go to another school if I do resits then people will just know me being dumb and it will be so hard to get my reputation back.

I am literally in such a dilemma.

I am thinking of making up an excuse. Like the UNI I want to get in I need a 7, but got a 6.

Any better excuses let me know.

Here are the grades I think I am gonna get:

English Language - ¾
English Literature - 6/7
Maths - 8/9
Biology - ⅞
Chemistry - ⅚
Physics - ⅚
Computer Science - 6/7
Spanish - 6/7
Geography - ⅚

English Language is such an outlier. I’m embarrassed.
Ice.Log
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by peteryoungy)
Guys I think I have failed English Language. Most likely I have failed. Do you think I should be embarrassed about it? I really wanted to go to my own school sixth form but I don’t want to be judged. In my year a lot of people know that I studied a lot and that I am smart.
But like 2 or 3 once said that I study a lot but I am not smart which is true. I know its my reality but don’t want to be going through that until november. I don’t want to be judged about it.

If I go to another school if I do resits then people will just know me being dumb and it will be so hard to get my reputation back.

I am literally in such a dilemma.

I am thinking of making up an excuse. Like the UNI I want to get in I need a 7, but got a 6.

Any better excuses let me know.

Here are the grades I think I am gonna get:

English Language - ¾
English Literature - 6/7
Maths - 8/9
Biology - ⅞
Chemistry - ⅚
Physics - ⅚
Computer Science - 6/7
Spanish - 6/7
Geography - ⅚

English Language is such an outlier. I’m embarrassed.
I take the same subjects as you (with similar grades) , but combined science and RE instead of triple. I feel similar about people thinking I'm smart and revise lots. It's better to be honest than make up an excuse - tbh wait till results day and see what you get, if you're not confident you'll get a 4, maybe you should start revising for the November exams, to get it done and over with. If you embarrassed about retaking it, don't tell anyone and work hard.
username3477548
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Saw your PM. It's nothing to be embarrassed about. Remember that your grade isn't too bad- some people get 2s and 1s.
Also, why do you need to tell other people your grade? They don't need to know. They can mind their own business.
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about, and to be honest I doubt many people would even know you were retaking (I couldn't tell you what lessons most of my year group went to let alone exam resits, I only saw most of them at break times and in free periods).

Pick your sixth form based on where you want to go for the A levels you want to do, not to try and avoid some judgement you're expecting that won't come. Your GCSE grades aren't something other people will care about, everyone is far too busy focusing on themselves and the intensity of A levels - the only way people will find out and care is if you decide to unnecessarily lie and draw attention to it, because then they'll wonder why you lied. On the unlikely occasion that anyone does ask, you can just say you want to resit to get a more competitive grade for uni, they don't need to know the specific grades you're talking about.

Best of luck with your results, and really don't overthink the potential resit, I guarantee it won't mean anything to anyone but you
peteryoungy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ice.Log)
I take the same subjects as you (with similar grades) , but combined science and RE instead of triple. I feel similar about people thinking I'm smart and revise lots. It's better to be honest than make up an excuse - tbh wait till results day and see what you get, if you're not confident you'll get a 4, maybe you should start revising for the November exams, to get it done and over with. If you embarrassed about retaking it, don't tell anyone and work hard.
i will try to keep it very secret but people will know there will be a retake class and if they see me in that retake class they will be shocked. i also want to keep it very secret but they will know about one of my grades. i don't want to be judged again. If I could make an excuse about it some people may believe me.
peteryoungy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
It's absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about, and to be honest I doubt many people would even know you were retaking (I couldn't tell you what lessons most of my year group went to let alone exam resits, I only saw most of them at break times and in free periods).

Pick your sixth form based on where you want to go for the A levels you want to do, not to try and avoid some judgement you're expecting that won't come. Your GCSE grades aren't something other people will care about, everyone is far too busy focusing on themselves and the intensity of A levels - the only way people will find out and care is if you decide to unnecessarily lie and draw attention to it, because then they'll wonder why you lied. On the unlikely occasion that anyone does ask, you can just say you want to resit to get a more competitive grade for uni, they don't need to know the specific grades you're talking about.

Best of luck with your results, and really don't overthink the potential resit, I guarantee it won't mean anything to anyone but you
Thanks but whilst I am going to English Language class I don't want someone else who is retaking tell it to someone else and that gossip continues and a lot know about this but I like your excuse and a lot will believe that.
peteryoungy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
Saw your PM. It's nothing to be embarrassed about. Remember that your grade isn't too bad- some people get 2s and 1s.
Also, why do you need to tell other people your grade? They don't need to know. They can mind their own business.
They are flipping nosy. They all want to know what I got. it always happens to me they think that i am smart as i study a lot but its not true once i failed an exam and felt so embarrased about that. i thought myself as a failure. That's why when its GCSE results I want to be the first one in so its secret and get enrolled into 6f quick. keep it secret and if they find out afterward i will say that i want to get into a top uni.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't worry about others. I know someone who re-sat English Language in Year 12 as he was disappointed with his 6 and got an 8. He achieved 4 A* and an A at A level (Maths, FM, Comp Sci, Physics and German) and went to Oxford
Nobody2u
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'd be surprised how many people retake English language and literature. It's not a question of being intelligent or not. If you had been on the vet med thread a couple of months ago you would have seen that a number of successful applicants had retaken it during sixth form. I redid the old 'O'level English to be eligible for the unis I wanted. I wasn't alone and no-one batted an eyelid. It was worth it. I got my uni choices and the job I wanted afterwards.
But as for studying all the time, you really shouldn't! It's generally a sign that you have the wrong study technique, and this is completely independent of your level of intelligence. Maybe you could do one of your assignments with a friend who gets good grades but appears to spend less time than you on them. You might find that they approach their work differently and they their method is more productive. This happened to me before the equivalent of my GCSE language exams. I spent an evening revising with a friend who always seemed so layed back, and in fact found out that she was hyper organised in the way she learnt verbs and vocabulary. It was an eye opener and a life saver for my grades.
So don't worry about the retake, you won't be alone, and good luck with the rest of your studies.
peteryoungy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nobody2u)
You'd be surprised how many people retake English language and literature. It's not a question of being intelligent or not. If you had been on the vet med thread a couple of months ago you would have seen that a number of successful applicants had retaken it during sixth form. I redid the old 'O'level English to be eligible for the unis I wanted. I wasn't alone and no-one batted an eyelid. It was worth it. I got my uni choices and the job I wanted afterwards.
But as for studying all the time, you really shouldn't! It's generally a sign that you have the wrong study technique, and this is completely independent of your level of intelligence. Maybe you could do one of your assignments with a friend who gets good grades but appears to spend less time than you on them. You might find that they approach their work differently and they their method is more productive. This happened to me before the equivalent of my GCSE language exams. I spent an evening revising with a friend who always seemed so layed back, and in fact found out that she was hyper organised in the way she learnt verbs and vocabulary. It was an eye opener and a life saver for my grades.
So don't worry about the retake, you won't be alone, and good luck with the rest of your studies.
thanks i believe that its got to do with my genetic. one person in my school reads class notes and gets top of the class another does no revision but is the smartest in the year. i thought he was lying but actually wasn't. he has inherited good genetic. all my siblings do a lot of revision but we are still dumb. i guess it has to do with our genetics. no one in my year does effective revision. they read notes. but i will use the excuse to getting into a top uni thats why i need to retake it.
peteryoungy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Don't worry about others. I know someone who re-sat English Language in Year 12 as he was disappointed with his 6 and got an 8. He achieved 4 A* and an A at A level (Maths, FM, Comp Sci, Physics and German) and went to Oxford
thanks for ur support hopefully i will have that kind of story but a majority in my year have failed english language rather than maths. do you think i should go to the own school sixth form or a school with a high rate of pass in english language. theres gonna be a lot redoing english language rather than maths in my year. so i am not alone. the teacher are s---
Ice.Log
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by peteryoungy)
thanks i believe that its got to do with my genetic. one person in my school reads class notes and gets top of the class another does no revision but is the smartest in the year. i thought he was lying but actually wasn't. he has inherited good genetic. all my siblings do a lot of revision but we are still dumb. i guess it has to do with our genetics. no one in my year does effective revision. they read notes. but i will use the excuse to getting into a top uni thats why i need to retake it.
Genetics have virtually nothing to do with how smart you are. I know this because I know someone who was working at a 3, but picked up the right technique and is now on track for a 7/8 in Maths. I myself used to work at grades 3-5 for RE and had the worst teacher, but I practiced questions, linked topics, memorised quotes for months and got an 8 in my first mock (few marks off 9). If it really has to do with genetics, there'd be no way it would be possible. Reading notes isn't revision - it may work for some, but not most. Active recall and spaced repetition is the key to high grades (flashcards, past papers, maybe the pomodoro timer...). Keep using that excuse and you won't improve at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads