Is this attitude for a church sermon going too far?

Watch
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am making sure that my phone and other electronic devices are switched off 75 minutes before a sermon starts. This can ensure that I can start praying for the sermon 60 minutes before it starts, and my mind will be truly quiet even 30 minutes before the sermon starts. This will ensure that I have a really good attitude towards God, and I treasure the time in front of Him.
To extend this, I will be striving to sit towards the front so I can be forced to be very attentive. I will be taking notes and reviewing them six times, and acting them out. I will meditate on the content myself or discuss with other people for around 30 minutes. Then my first act out of the content should happen within 60 minutes after the sermon ends. Only after that, my electronic devices can be switched back on again.
For a cell group, everything will be going down by 15 minutes. If I have any kind of service in a church meeting, I will start preparing as soon as I am assigned, and pray more than prepare myself. It is full of the content of God so anything from my old self will not be exposed in any form. I will make sure that the service can bring life to people as I come frequently to God when preparing for it. In addition, on the day of the service, I will not touch any of my electronic devices until 90 minutes after the service is completed.
I know this is a good attitude towards God but am I going too far?
Last edited by 8013; 1 month ago
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is just amusing.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bio 7)
This is just amusing.
Why?
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 8013)
Why?
I can't tell if you're genuine or not.

Either you're trolling or being serious, either way I think you are wasting your life. For your sake I hope it is trolling because it takes up less time.
Pollokshed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 8013)
Why?
Hi, i think its amusing because its quite ehm... alot
im a christain myself and one thing id say is that you should be careful so dont become like the pharisees who do everthing and think they can put themselves right with God as we can only be put right through Jesus. So your entire plan is quite good and sounds really serious but dont let that make you ignorant. Also dont forget how the world works.

'World works' in the sense that dont eliminate your life on earth dont act like everthing here on earth is as pearly as the good stuff in the Bible. Don't be innocent to the wickedness of the world. Thye book of proverbs says everthing you need to know. it says Proverbs 4:7 "Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding" Everything in the world needs to be balanced.

Be careful, so as not to declare self-righteousness. Its honestly is just by the grace of God; not by works of righteousness. The bible mentions in many scriptures about the first becoming last for example
Matthew 20:16
So the last will be first, and the first will be last."

Mark 10:31
But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first."

Luke 13:30
And indeed, some who are last will be first, and some who are first will be last."

This in my understanding means that you could be all good and proper and minutes to the rapture or towards the end you could lead your salvation because you could think "oh ive been so good blah blah" so what im saying is that alonside your entire plan and things you do always invoke God's grace and mercy. The thief on the cross with christ has been evil his whole life but at that last moment he tecieved salvation this shows-"...The last shall be the first."
I pray God helps you in this race of salvation.

God bless you.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 8013)
I am making sure that my phone and other electronic devices are switched off 75 minutes before a sermon starts. This can ensure that I can start praying for the sermon 60 minutes before it starts, and my mind will be truly quiet even 30 minutes before the sermon starts. This will ensure that I have a really good attitude towards God, and I treasure the time in front of Him.
To extend this, I will be striving to sit towards the front so I can be forced to be very attentive. I will be taking notes and reviewing them six times, and acting them out. I will meditate on the content myself or discuss with other people for around 30 minutes. Then my first act out of the content should happen within 60 minutes after the sermon ends. Only after that, my electronic devices can be switched back on again.
For a cell group, everything will be going down by 15 minutes. If I have any kind of service in a church meeting, I will start preparing as soon as I am assigned, and pray more than prepare myself. It is full of the content of God so anything from my old self will not be exposed in any form. I will make sure that the service can bring life to people as I come frequently to God when preparing for it. In addition, on the day of the service, I will not touch any of my electronic devices until 90 minutes after the service is completed.
I know you are being genuine but I think this is going too far. You are treating it like a job wheres surely a good attitude to God should come naturally to you and you don't need to worry about it so much.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pollokshed)
Hi, i think its amusing because its quite ehm... alot
im a christain myself and one thing id say is that you should be careful so dont become like the pharisees who do everthing and think they can put themselves right with God as we can only be put right through Jesus. So your entire plan is quite good and sounds really serious but dont let that make you ignorant. Also dont forget how the world works.

'World works' in the sense that dont eliminate your life on earth dont act like everthing here on earth is as pearly as the good stuff in the Bible. Don't be innocent to the wickedness of the world. Thye book of proverbs says everthing you need to know. it says Proverbs 4:7 "Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding" Everything in the world needs to be balanced.

Be careful, so as not to declare self-righteousness. Its honestly is just by the grace of God; not by works of righteousness. The bible mentions in many scriptures about the first becoming last for example
Matthew 20:16
So the last will be first, and the first will be last."

Mark 10:31
But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first."

Luke 13:30
And indeed, some who are last will be first, and some who are first will be last."

This in my understanding means that you could be all good and proper and minutes to the rapture or towards the end you could lead your salvation because you could think "oh ive been so good blah blah" so what im saying is that alonside your entire plan and things you do always invoke God's grace and mercy. The thief on the cross with christ has been evil his whole life but at that last moment he tecieved salvation this shows-"...The last shall be the first."
I pray God helps you in this race of salvation.

God bless you.
Thanks. I think that this is too far after asking God. I will just tune down to 15-30 and just have God guiding my entire behaviour.
BG94
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 8013)
Personally I love that attitude and I hope you can keep this up! Are you a new Christian?
BG94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 8013)
Are you a new Christian?
Rep:
?
(Original post by BG94)
Personally I love that attitude and I hope you can keep this up! Are you a new Christian?
Have been for a few years. I just hope that I can bring life to the body of God in this way.
flaurie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It seems very time consuming and rigid - make sure you’re doing this for the right reason rather than to ‘look good’ in front of others at your church
BG94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 8013)
Have been for a few years. I just hope that I can bring life to the body of God in this way.
God bless you! And I hope you do remain this zealous and fervent in the Lord.
As for cell phones, I wish I am as disciplined as you are, it does however sound like you are going overboard but if that is what the Lord is leading you to do then please by all means go for it. The Lord does look at your heart and your effort in pleasing Him. May he be delighted with your heart and May your heart produce actions that are in favour for Him.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure all sermons deserve this much attention. I think you might be better off reducing your time on much of this and helping others in some way instead.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ask yourself.... Would Jesus have used a mobile ?
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes.
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
It seems very time consuming and rigid - make sure you’re doing this for the right reason rather than to ‘look good’ in front of others at your church
I am just doing it so that God can be able to speak to me clearly and I can be united with all the people in the body of God. I hope to be more God-fearing through this. But I am trimming down a bit now, to the one I used in the conference of 2019, which I switched off my phone 45 minutes before each sermon and prayed for 30 minutes before each one starts. I was totally quiet in front of God 10 minutes before the sermons start. That conference provoked me to always come to God when choosing my uni and not ranting on rejections. It also made me started playing hymns on piano regularly. I have complained less than 10 times on anything since then, and totally stopped complaining since March, as the low number of complaints show my acceptance to the will of God. I have also changed my phone ringtone to a hymn, which is updated regularly. I always sing to it when a call comes in and every call from an inappropriate number has been missed since then. That was my biggest response to any sermon so far. I expect another similar level of response in my life after the 2021 conference, so I want to do this again.
This great response was achieved through what Jesus told me during the conference, and I kept seeking him and got such a result.
By the way, this calling came after God appreciated me singing my guts out in a singspiration which sounds like a performance to most other people, during the 2021 congregation of my secondary school. I glanced at the faces of the 2 leaders and they were less nervous than during the rehearsal, as someone being together with them in God's body releases their burdens to serve Him. And after reading Numbers 18, this made it even more important.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I sort of admire the sentiment but I think you've been given very sage advice by others about this approach how this approach is not conducive in many ways. The only new thing I'd like to add (as others have expressed my concerns far better than I could/would have), is that listening in order to take notes of each and every semon is so different to listening to hear God's voice speaking to you through a good priest :fyi: So I don't feel this strategy will help you grow as a Christian, in the way that you are thinking. A desire to write everything down - or even just the main points down - dilutes the message being spoken :sadnod:
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I sort of admire the sentiment but I think you've been given very sage advice by others about this approach how this approach is not conducive in many ways. The only new thing I'd like to add (as others have expressed my concerns far better than I could/would have), is that listening in order to take notes of each and every semon is so different to listening to hear God's voice speaking to you through a good priest :fyi: So I don't feel this strategy will help you grow as a Christian, in the way that you are thinking. A desire to write everything down - or even just the main points down - dilutes the message being spoken :sadnod:
So, I will just journal what God tells me through the sermons of each month and how I will implement them.
I will also write a prayer after each message on the YouVersion app so God can help me remember what he spoke to me.
Is this much better?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 8013)
So, I will just journal what God tells me through the sermons of each month and how I will implement them.
I will also write a prayer after each message on the YouVersion app so God can help me remember what he spoke to me.
Is this much better?
This sounds a better strategy for hearing God's voice and not over-exerting yourself/being a Pharisee unnecessarily
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
This sounds a better strategy for hearing God's voice and not over-exerting yourself/being a Pharisee unnecessarily
These will not be uploaded to anywhere online, just a share with God, making it like Jesus.
However, some other breakthroughs through the messages will be mentioned on a TSR thread so I can motivate more people to seek the voice of God through the thread in question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.44%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.77%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.05%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.03%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.42%

Watched Threads