smallessexgirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I'm about to start A-Levels but I'm curious about the UCAS points and how to earn them. I know about the grades and the points they value to but with extra-curricular and other awards, does having a Level 3 Algebra certificate count? Also would swimming be acceptable?

Thank you!
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In general; the more competitive courses don't care about UCAS points. they care about grades. Even courses that make offers based on UCAS points may not count those in unrelated subjects- so the UCAS points for Grade 8 saxophone may not count towards an engineering degree.

What attracts UCAS points is here: https://www.ucas.com/files/tariff-tables Most extra curriculars do not count.
smallessexgirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Compost)
In general; the more competitive courses don't care about UCAS points. they care about grades. Even courses that make offers based on UCAS points may not count those in unrelated subjects- so the UCAS points for Grade 8 saxophone may not count towards an engineering degree.

What attracts UCAS points is here: https://www.ucas.com/files/tariff-tables Most extra curriculars do not count.
Thank you!! I'll have a look now!
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Academic qualifications attract UCAS points.
Stuff like DoE and swimming certificates don't so don't waste your time listing them as 'qualifications'.

And be aware that even though many Music/Drama/Language exams and similar might be 'worth' UCAS points, its entirely up to Unis if they accept them or not - and usually if the degree isnt directly related then its a No.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads