Does resigning after 6 weeks go on your record?

Watch
Icingonmycake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If I left a placement after 6 weeks of joining because I realised I wasn’t enjoying it and didn’t think I was a good match, would it ‘flag’ up on my records?

Because I’d only have been there for such a short amount of time and wouldn't have fulfilled my full 12 months, I wouldn’t ask for a reference (I doubt I’d get one) and so wouldn’t put it on my cv. But when reapplying for other placements, will they be able to search my most recent employment and will that come up saying I left after 6 weeks? I don’t want them to think I’m a job hopper and an unserious candidate.

I’ve really thought long and hard about my decision and feel strongly about leaving.. but I don’t want it to ruin my future chances…
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They can’t search for your previous employment because there’s no ‘record’ of that. The only way they would know where you’ve worked is if you told them.
More to the point, it’s ok to say you left a job as long as you explain why in an appropriate way. If you just say it wasn’t what you expected the job to be and you felt you would be a better fit elsewhere, then it’s fine
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above, but it’s also important to remember that gaps in your employment history dates will raise more questions than a short term employment.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Icingonmycake)
If I left a placement after 6 weeks of joining because I realised I wasn’t enjoying it and didn’t think I was a good match, would it ‘flag’ up on my records?

Because I’d only have been there for such a short amount of time and wouldn't have fulfilled my full 12 months, I wouldn’t ask for a reference (I doubt I’d get one) and so wouldn’t put it on my cv. But when reapplying for other placements, will they be able to search my most recent employment and will that come up saying I left after 6 weeks? I don’t want them to think I’m a job hopper and an unserious candidate.

I’ve really thought long and hard about my decision and feel strongly about leaving.. but I don’t want it to ruin my future chances…
They won't know about your employment history unless you tell them. They can't really search.
And like has been said, you can say that you left a job as long as you explain in an appropriate way and don't **** then off.
route255
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had a couple of jobs in the last year that didn't last! I don't put them in my CV. I thought HMRC can show where you've been working.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by route255)
I had a couple of jobs in the last year that didn't last! I don't put them in my CV. I thought HMRC can show where you've been working.
HMRC will know where you have been working - they won't provide that info to anyone else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.53%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (12)
14.12%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
18.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.59%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.82%

Watched Threads