After completing my access course in October

Watch
ridish.kc
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I am 21 and currently studying an access course to HE in Health professions, I am doing very well on this course.
Before studying this course, the qualifications I obtained were English and Maths GCSE at grade 4. Other than this, I got unlucky and obtained D's in everything else including sciences within college and secondary school.
Even though I revised to the best of my ability, I still want to prove that I can do well. My aim is to go on, to do medicine as I believe I can, do it. How many GCSES would I need? What main gcses would I need to retake?

As I want to ensure to correct my foundation before taking on a huge challenge and stepping up for medicine, which I am definitely ready for, god willing it happens in the future.

Many regards,

Ridish KC.
Last edited by ridish.kc; 1 month ago
Effyd123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
that depends on which universities you apply for. There aren't many unis that accept access courses, and the ones that do aren't fussy on GCSEs as long as you have maths and English. An exception to this rule is Liverpool, which requires 5 GCSEs over C/6.

Do your research, the best is to speak to the unis you have your eyes on and find out their specific requirements in your circumstances.

Good luck
Kabzzzy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd like to point out that the above is partly incorrect. There are 8 out of 32 medical schools in the UK that do not accept Access courses, not including the 2 GEM-only Universities. I would hardly equate that to not many Universities accepting.

Have solid, relevant medical work experience, and a B/6 for Maths/English Language and you should be fine as long as you meet the Access grade requirements. You only get 4 options, you can just choose Universities that don't want a minimum of 5 GCSEs. It should also be pointed out that GCSE requirements can be different for Access students, so make sure you don't get them muddled up with standard entry applicants.
ridish.kc
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kabzzzy)
I'd like to point out that the above is partly incorrect. There are 8 out of 32 medical schools in the UK that do not accept Access courses, not including the 2 GEM-only Universities. I would hardly equate that to not many Universities accepting.

Have solid, relevant medical work experience, and a B/6 for Maths/English Language and you should be fine as long as you meet the Access grade requirements. You only get 4 options, you can just choose Universities that don't want a minimum of 5 GCSEs. It should also be pointed out that GCSE requirements can be different for Access students, so make sure you don't get them muddled up with standard entry applicants.
Thank you but I don't want to really retake my English and Maths as I had previously retaken them before. But However, I would want to improve on my Science GCSE as I believe, it would be better off for me.
ridish.kc
Rep:
?
(Original post by ridish.kc)
Thank you but I don't want to really retake my English and Maths as I had previously retaken them before. But However, I would want to improve on my Science GCSE as I believe, it would be better off for me.
I have grade 4 in both of these subjects.
Kabzzzy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ridish.kc)
Sorry for the late reply, I've been wine-ing too much this week. ANYWAY, I'd just like to point out that you need a certain grade for Maths and English, and it won't be as low as a 4. This is because they need to know that you'd be able to handle the literature, be able to write properly and academically, and also use enough mathematical skills for whichever modules require them. The lowest requirements I saw for Medicine was B/6 for each, so your current achievements won't get you into Medicine.

Of course you can look into taking science GCSEs too, but those aren't typically a requirement for Access students as you'll cover science in the course itself. Do a bit more research, but it looks like you definitely need the Maths and English retakes again.
ridish.kc
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kabzzzy)
Sorry for the late reply, I've been wine-ing too much this week. ANYWAY, I'd just like to point out that you need a certain grade for Maths and English, and it won't be as low as a 4. This is because they need to know that you'd be able to handle the literature, be able to write properly and academically, and also use enough mathematical skills for whichever modules require them. The lowest requirements I saw for Medicine was B/6 for each, so your current achievements won't get you into Medicine.

Of course you can look into taking science GCSEs too, but those aren't typically a requirement for Access students as you'll cover science in the course itself. Do a bit more research, but it looks like you definitely need the Maths and English retakes again.
Thank you soo much but I have thought about this and considered your thoughts on this, I have come to the decision of going into medicine for grad entry as in the meanwhile I have applied for paramedic science now.
Effyd123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ooh good luck. I heard that paramedic science is even more competitive tho
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.32%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.58%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
18.92%

Watched Threads