The Student Room Group

job help please

So I've been accepted on a decent job and am meant to be starting on monday the 2nd of August. I've just gotten off the phone with my dream company and I've gotten through to the last stage. I told them that i've got another offer but they are my 1st choice and so they've brought forward my final interview by over a week so that i'm being interviewed on the 5th(was meant to be the 13th). I've asked the 1st company if i can start a week later and they've said no.

I just realllly don't know what to do.... the 2nd job is a once in a lifetime opportunity, gives me great experience and is about 30% better pay. Is it worth just giving up this great opportunity because the timing didn't work out.
Reply 1
Try to delay it by a week saying you have some emergency that you can't avoid? If that doesn't work, I would personally start working in the first job, and still go for the second interview. If you get the second job, just quit the first job but very much easier said than done.

When you quit your first job, be open and honest - second job is a dream company and with the pandemic and everything, you thought it would be the best if you started first and be honest about it after. It won't be a good outcome and first company will definitely be annoyed - but hopefully they understand from a personal standpoint and I'm sure they would have done the same if they were in your shoes.

Not an easy decision & situation to be in, all the best and congrats on starting your career! You will never forget the feeling of having your first pay check (and then losing it immediately through all the online purchases you do right after lol)
Original post by sclfung
Try to delay it by a week saying you have some emergency that you can't avoid? If that doesn't work, I would personally start working in the first job, and still go for the second interview. If you get the second job, just quit the first job but very much easier said than done.

When you quit your first job, be open and honest - second job is a dream company and with the pandemic and everything, you thought it would be the best if you started first and be honest about it after. It won't be a good outcome and first company will definitely be annoyed - but hopefully they understand from a personal standpoint and I'm sure they would have done the same if they were in your shoes.

Not an easy decision & situation to be in, all the best and congrats on starting your career! You will never forget the feeling of having your first pay check (and then losing it immediately through all the online purchases you do right after lol)

I agree
Go with your heart and follow your dreams good luck
Reply 4
Stop worrying, and keep doing everything they ask and if they make you an offer negotiate them to give them what you want, then you'll know whether you're in on a winner or not.
Reply 5
thanks everyone, i wasn't able to delay the job. They wouldn't let me so i've started now

Quick Reply

Latest