Rhys_M
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For part B below, how can I get the differential equation into a normal equation?

I've tried lots of times and got h=1/9t - ht/300
But i think this is really wrong.
Thanks
Name:  628F2B4D-B388-4C8B-BFAF-685AE0A9C30B.jpeg
Views: 13
Size:  44.8 KB
Last edited by Rhys_M; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
h is not a constant, its a function of t, so you have to integrate it like the examples you were doing (yesterday), so integrate wrt h on one side and integrate wrt t on the other. The solution should involve logs / exponentials.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
Rhys_M
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
h is not a constant, its a function of t, so you have to integrate it like the examples you were doing (yesterday), so integrate wrt h on one side and integrate wrt t on the other. The solution should involve logs / exponentials.
I'm strugglying to manipulate it to get that, as it involves adding and minusing terms so i cant get anything where there isn't an h without a dt or vice versa
Name:  4B54EB19-E0AF-46DA-8168-ECBB5F9FE2B6.png
Views: 8
Size:  170.5 KB
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You did a harder problem yesterday and you've ended up with a
h dt
integral, which is still a problem.

If I wrote a simplified version as
dh/dt = (1+h)
how would you do it? Note the brackets on the right. Then a simple generalization to the actual numbers in the question.
Rhys_M
Rep:
?
Ohh so do you mean treat the derivative as a fraction
So
Dh/dt = 1/9 - h/300
Would become
Dt/dh = 9 - 300/h
Which is a valid integral?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you need to separate the variables. this involves putting the right hand expression 100 -3h into brackets so it can be moved correctly.
Rhys_M
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
you need to separate the variables. this involves putting the right hand expression 100 -3h into brackets so it can be moved correctly.
I don't understand how brackets will help - how can I separate the variables in this case?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rhys_M)
I don't understand how brackets will help - how can I separate the variables in this case?
you need to get all of the bits relating to h onto the LHS, and all the bits relating to t onto the RHS. that is why putting brackets round 100 - 3h will help.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For the example I gave
1/(1 + h) dh = dt
and integrate. The brackets don't help by themselves, but dividing by the complete right hand side does (and then "multiply" by dt), rather than rearranging it by adding and subtracting terms.
Rhys_M
Rep:
?
For the example I gave
1/(1 + h) dh = dt
and integrate. The brackets don't help by themselves, but dividing by the complete right hand side does (and then "multiply" by dt), rather than rearranging it by adding and subtracting terms.
Oh ok thank you - so is this getting close?
I don't think it's fully right as the answer for part b is 300ln4 seconds - which I can't get to
Name:  0CD5999B-648E-4147-A6DF-859335EC2031.png
Views: 3
Size:  221.4 KB
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, about a third of the way down, the reciprocal of
1/a + 1/b
is not
a + b

Without any simplification, but divide by the right hand side (and left) you have
1/(100 - 3h) dh = 1/900 dt
and integrate ...

The left hand side is a log, the right is "t". So if you write h = ..., the right hand side will basically be an exponential in t, which you should expect if the differential equation is dh/dt ~ h.
Rhys_M
Rep:
?
No, about a third of the way down, the reciprocal of
1/a + 1/b
is not
a + b

Without any simplification, but divide by the right hand side (and left) you have
1/(100 - 3h) dh = 1/900 dt
and integrate ...

The left hand side is a log, the right is "t". So if you write h = ..., the right hand side will basically be an exponential in t, which you should expect if the differential equation is dh/dt ~ h.
I've got the answer now - thank you so much !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads