maisybh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am in year 11 and have picked maths biology PE and chemistry for my a levels. I know I don’t want to do four, and biology and PE are ones I’m definitely doing. For a degree in marine biology, which one out of chemistry and maths would be more useful? Thanks
catchrylie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hmm...I'm not entirely sure. I would think your maths would be more important because of needing stuff like weights and meaures. That's just my thinking and where my brain goes.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by maisybh)
I am in year 11 and have picked maths biology PE and chemistry for my a levels. I know I don’t want to do four, and biology and PE are ones I’m definitely doing. For a degree in marine biology, which one out of chemistry and maths would be more useful? Thanks
Hia!

great choices for alevel! Biology is a must so its good you're set on that. Between maths and chemistry, it really is up to you as most universities will ask for biology and maybe one other science (including maths). So it is really down to what you enjoy the most as you will get a lot of maths practise in both chemistry and biology. So id recommend going into sixth form with an open mind and see which one you enjoy more.

Hope this helps,

Ben - UoP rep
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by maisybh)
Probably chemistry would be more useful out of those two. However, PE is the least 'useful' and relevant one for your chosen path of study, and you'd need to be sure that the universities to which you want to apply would accept PE as an A level choice. Biology, chemistry and maths would be a much better combination for any science-based subject
maisybh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks all. I know PE isn’t massively regarded as a scientific subject but I love the syllabus and I feel I’m more likely to do well in PE than and extra science. Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll go to sixth form with an open mind about maths and chemistry and see which I enjoy more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (26)
13.4%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.19%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.64%
I need help with my personal statement (80)
41.24%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (49)
25.26%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.55%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.73%

Watched Threads