Is it worth getting all the vaccines?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am 21, born in the UK. I haven't taken a single vaccine in my life. I'm about to start university and it seems they want me to take the vaccines I've missed out on: 2 doses of MMR and Me nACWY. Plus I'm sure I'll be encouraged to take the COVID doses.

I'm not fond of the idea of taking the vaccines considering I've remained healthy throughout my life and have never been seriously ill.

So, would you think its wise to take them or is there any point?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
everyone is in good health until they become ill.
Vapordave
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, especially MMR and ACWY. Those are quite nasty diseases you'll be more likely to catch in uni.
Garrod
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes it is please do it
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it a requirement of your uni course or accomodation provider that you be fully vaccinated? :confused:
If so, they won't change their stance or accept any non-compliance unless there is a medical exemption involved.

If it is just informal advice or a casual recommendation, then it is up to you to decide whether you are willing to have those vaccines.
Your body, your health, your life and your right to choose.
Trust your gut instinct and listen to what your feelings are telling you.
The only vaccine that I've had is the polio one as a child, I'm very unlikely to ever have any more.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by the bear)
everyone is in good health until they become ill.
Can't argue with that.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
Is it a requirement of your uni course or accomodation provider that you be fully vaccinated? :confused:
If so, they won't change their stance or accept any non-compliance unless there is a medical exemption involved.

If it is just informal advice or a casual recommendation, then it is up to you to decide whether you are willing to have those vaccines.
The only vaccine that I've had is the polio one as a child, I'm very unlikely to ever have any more.
According to their wording, it is edging towards mandatory, rather than advisory. I'll probably just take them if they confront me about it. I'm not much of a protester.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Vapordave)
Yes, especially MMR and ACWY. Those are quite nasty diseases you'll be more likely to catch in uni.
Fair enough lad.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am 21, born in the UK. I haven't taken a single vaccine in my life. I'm about to start university and it seems they want me to take the vaccines I've missed out on: 2 doses of MMR and Me nACWY. Plus I'm sure I'll be encouraged to take the COVID doses.

I'm not fond of the idea of taking the vaccines considering I've remained healthy throughout my life and have never been seriously ill.

this is easy.... YES.

"have never been seriously ill." and you don't want to be, especially something like meningitis.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

generally, your contributions on TSR are insightful, helpful, well-meaning and intelligent. i agree with you on so, so many different things, so i don't know where this anti-vax business comes from with you. you are essentially telling someone who is not even a full adult to trust their own instincts over medical advice from highly experienced healthcare professionals - your life will eventually be in their hands.

i will say that your posts on this issue are likely to do harm to people. TSR bans people from daring to go against the orthodox dogma of gender identity theory, but instead what they should in fact be focusing on is things like not allowing dangerous advice to be given to youngsters

please reconsider your position on this as i do hugely appreciate your presence and contributions to TSR!
Last edited by A Rolling Stone; 1 month ago
Ten-Ten
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

When do uni’s tell you that?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
this is easy.... YES.

"have never been seriously ill." and you don't want to be, especially something like meningitis.
Alright, I'll take on your advice. Thanks.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
generally, your contributions on TSR are insightful, helpful, well-meaning and intelligent. i agree with you on so, so many different things, so i don't know where this anti-vax business comes from with you. you are essentially telling someone who is not even a full adult to trust their own instincts over medical advice from highly experienced healthcare professionals - your life will eventually be in their hands.

i will say that your posts on this issue are likely to do harm to people. TSR bans people from daring to go against the orthodox dogma of gender identity theory, but instead what they should in fact be focusing on is things like not allowing dangerous advice to be given to youngsters

please reconsider your position on this as i do hugely appreciate your presence and contributions to TSR!
OP has written that they are 21 years old.
My parents are anti-vaxxers, I am not.
Ten-Ten
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

She wasn’t being anti vax, she was just saying that if they feel they should take it then they should take it. If anything people like you should be banned for trying to force/guilt trip people into taking it. She’s just making sure the person is comfortable with taking it and are taking it because they want to
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you are essentially telling someone who is not even a full adult to trust their own instincts
He became a legal adult at 18. He is now 21. No wonder this generation is full of snowflakes because fully grown adults are still treated as children by people like yourself.

@OP, I recommend you take the vaccines. Though probably not all at once, check with your doctor. Ultimately, it's up to you though.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
Jgradschool
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I highly recommend it.

I have family members abroad who didn't have the chance to get vaccinated die of COVID over the past year. Not all of them had conditions that would make COVID worse either - some were young and healthy. A couple of cousins in the 25-35 range died and left their kids without a parent. Even my family that did get COVID highly recommend that others get vaccinated because they don't want others to go through the same experience.

I'd recommend getting the other vaccines too. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Last edited by Jgradschool; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
He became a legal adult at 18. He is now 21. No wonder this generation is full of snowflakes because fully grown adults are still treated as children by people like yourself.

@OP, I recommend you take the vaccines. Though probably not all at once, check with your doctor. Ultimately, it's up to you though.
Noted, thanks la.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ten-Ten)
She wasn’t being anti vax, she was just saying that if they feel they should take it then they should take it. If anything people like you should be banned for trying to force/guilt trip people into taking it. She’s just making sure the person is comfortable with taking it and are taking it because they want to
i'm not trying to force or guilt trip the OP, but simply parroting advice that any PROFESSIONAL healthcare professional would give which is to accept vaccines that are offered to you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Jgradschool)
I highly recommend it.

I have family members abroad who didn't have the chance to get vaccinated die of COVID over the past year. Not all of them had conditions that would make COVID worse either - some were young and healthy. A couple of cousins in the 25-35 range died and left their kids without a parent. Even my family that did get COVID highly recommend that others get vaccinated because they don't want others to go through the same experience.

I'd recommend getting the other vaccines too. It's better to be safe than sorry.
I am sorry for your losses, I'll certianly take heed. Thanks.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)

for some reason i skipped straight to "i'm about to start university" and skipped that the OP is 21 years old :bigsmile: still though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.43%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.57%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.57%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.71%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (47)
26.86%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.86%

Watched Threads