Can you ring universities up in clearing while still having an offer?

Watch
mattwj10
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, so I have a conditional offer for Leeds but I think I would prefer to go to another university. I was thinking of ringing Exeter or Bath to try and get a place but I don't want to give up my Leeds place until I have another that is good. The entry requirements for Leeds are already quite high so I don't think I would qualify for an adjustment, would I just be able to ring Exeter up and see if I can agree something before rejecting my Leeds place for example? Thanks
Swansea University Colleges
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mattwj10)
Hi, so I have a conditional offer for Leeds but I think I would prefer to go to another university. I was thinking of ringing Exeter or Bath to try and get a place but I don't want to give up my Leeds place until I have another that is good. The entry requirements for Leeds are already quite high so I don't think I would qualify for an adjustment, would I just be able to ring Exeter up and see if I can agree something before rejecting my Leeds place for example? Thanks
Hey Matt,

You can apply through clearing if you have been unsuccessful or withdrawn from your firm choice. Then UCAS will automatically enter you in the clearing process. I had to decline my firm choice before my grades came out so I could go through clearing for Swansea University. My best advice is if you are still unsure about rejecting Leeds I say wait until results day and let the university make the choice as you don't want the feeling of regret if you decide to decline the offer.

Hope this helps
Laiba
Human and Health sciences
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can ring who you like - but they will usually not commit to a definite offer until you are in Clearing and therefore they can actually see your UCAS application to check your details/subjects/results etc.

Be careful with this sort of 'having your cake and eating it' strategy as it can often backfire, leaving you with either no place or going to a Uni you have already decided you don't want. And remember, Clearing applicants will not be guaranteed accommodation. The drop-put rate for Clearing applicants is high.

Think carefully about why you are now leaning towards Bath or Exeter - is this wish entirely course-based, or because friends are going there, 'I've heard....', 'it looks nice on the website' etc. Remember, if you dropped your UCAS application for this year, you could start an entirely new UCAS application on the autumn, with 5 new choices - and you could go to Open Days etc and make informed choices/decisions, instead of a panicky decision on Results Day you could easily regret.
mattwj10
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
You can ring who you like - but they will usually not commit to a definite offer until you are in Clearing and therefore they can actually see your UCAS application to check your details/subjects/results etc.

Be careful with this sort of 'having your cake and eating it' strategy as it can often backfire, leaving you with either no place or going to a Uni you have already decided you don't want. And remember, Clearing applicants will not be guaranteed accommodation. The drop-put rate for Clearing applicants is high.

Think carefully about why you are now leaning towards Bath or Exeter - is this wish entirely course-based, or because friends are going there, 'I've heard....', 'it looks nice on the website' etc. Remember, if you dropped your UCAS application for this year, you could start an entirely new UCAS application on the autumn, with 5 new choices - and you could go to Open Days etc and make informed choices/decisions, instead of a panicky decision on Results Day you could easily regret.
Thanks for the response, I want to apply as I was rejected by them but I think it was because I was with an online college and they messed my application up on the reference and attached no predicated grades. Do you think it is not worth trying adjustment so they can see my grades and then if I do not qualify I just say can I have the place through clearing instead? Thanks
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can only use Adjustment if you exceed the grades required by Leeds.

What Happens on Results Day - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...el-results-day
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bizarre to me that someone would prefer to go to Exeter or Bath over Leeds tbh :indiff:
mattwj10
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Bizarre to me that someone would prefer to go to Exeter or Bath over Leeds tbh :indiff:
Why I thought they all have similar stats and the careers seem good at Bath plus I want to a nice town.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Be aware that Bath is as expensive to live in as London.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why I thought they all have similar stats and the careers seem good at Bath plus I want to a nice town.
I just think Leeds is a livelier and more interesting city. Much more appealing as a place to live.

Bath student/town relations aren’t great and both Bath and Exeter are very expensive.

it might suit you better but it wouldn’t be my choice.
mattwj10
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
I just think Leeds is a livelier and more interesting city. Much more appealing as a place to live.

Bath student/town relations aren’t great and both Bath and Exeter are very expensive.

it might suit you better but it wouldn’t be my choice.
fair enough, so do you think I will have to reject leeds to get a place at Bath for example or could I come to like some 'provisional' agreement before rejecting leeds
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
fair enough, so do you think I will have to reject leeds to get a place at Bath for example or could I come to like some 'provisional' agreement before rejecting leeds
Please see my answer above.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you don’t qualify for Adjustment (don’t exceed the grades required by Leeds) you would have to decline your offer at Leeds in order to officially apply to Bath or Exeter. But you could phone those Unis first to find out if they will encourage you to apply to them, though I doubt they will give you any cast iron guarantees
mattwj10
Rep:
?
thanks all I will try it first and if not then maybe I will just put myself in clearing
Last edited by mattwj10; 1 month ago
mattwj10
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Please see my answer above.
Thanks
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally I would say ringing when you aren’t in clearing risks wasting your time at a point when time is important.

If you don’t want to go to Leeds then put yourself in clearing asap and then start ringing around.
mattwj10
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Personally I would say ringing when you aren’t in clearing risks wasting your time at a point when time is important.

If you don’t want to go to Leeds then put yourself in clearing asap and then start ringing around.
Okay thanks so do the places go quickly for the universities like Bath and Exeter starting at 8:30am?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads