Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Okay so basically I’m going into my second year of college completing a level 3 BTEC in business. So my location university’s, (I’m from Birmingham) the entry requirements are quiet high, I’ve done my research into different universities as I am planning to go into university September 2022, Coventry University is offering the course I would like to do but with lower entry requirements and with more benefits, however my parents don’t want me to go there and will not allow me as it is “too far” (1 hour drive) and they will definitely not allow me to move out for university. SOMEONE HELP ME!!!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Okay so basically I’m going into my second year of college completing a level 3 BTEC in business. So my location university’s, (I’m from Birmingham) the entry requirements are quiet high, I’ve done my research into different universities as I am planning to go into university September 2022, Coventry University is offering the course I would like to do but with lower entry requirements and with more benefits, however my parents don’t want me to go there and will not allow me as it is “too far” (1 hour drive) and they will definitely not allow me to move out for university. SOMEONE HELP ME!!!
Hi

This sounds quite frustrating i must admit.

Could you explain to them all the benefits of moving away for university and all the life skills that come with it? For instance, you don't just move to uni for the course, you move away to learn how to budget, look after a place you're living in, meet new people and make new friends, try new things and be independent and free!

Maybe if i were you, i'd take them on a uni open day and try and speak to some of the resident students and ask them why they chose to move out, maybe getting a different perspective might help persuade your parents?

That being said, it depends why they won't let you move out. If it is because they are concerned for your safety or wellbeing - you could find out more information on how your uni looks after their students and all the support and advice services available to you. If it is financial worries, check out students loans, grants, scholarships etc. available to you.

I hope you find a way to resolve this situation, uni is a truly rewarding experience.

Good luck

Andrew
UoP Student Rep
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I understand some of how you feel.
I always planned to move out for uni and escaped from my controlling parents before a levels were over 8 years ago.

Have you received confirmation of your maintainence loan entitlement? :confused:
Are your parents very overprotective, controlling, religious traditionalists or following a long family tradition of continuing to live with parents until marriage?
Do you have savings or a regular employment income?

You don't need your parents permission to accept a uni place or move out for uni.
But their financial info is used to calculate your annual student finance entitlement for the maintainence loan.
If they refuse to cooperate with student finance trying to be obtructivel or punish you, it is most likely to result in you only being eligible to receive the minimum level of student loans.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey,

It's great to hear you're considering studying at Coventry! I'm sorry to hear you're in a sticky situation with your parents.

Echoing what the others have said, it's ultimately your decision where you go to university as this will most likely be a defining moment for you as a student before starting your career. Understandably, it's scary being at university and not being around your parents, but university is probably the safest place for you to start learning how to adult as you'll be with other people in the same boat as you. However, if your family situation is involved in the decision-making, this makes things difficult.

Have you explored your parents' reasons for you not going to Coventry? What are your reasons for wanting to study at Coventry? Have you thought about coming to a compromise on both sides for you to study at Coventry? Have you and your family visited an open day? Have you spoken to current students or lecturers to get a feel for studying at Coventry?

While you're at university, it's unlikely you're going to visit your parents every week or heavily rely on them, and that's okay. Your parents don't need to be there to drive you as and when as you'll learn to navigate your own way and asking for help where necessary. Coventry has excellent transport links and is a small city so you're unlikely to get lost. Obviously, Coventry isn't the safest city to study in, but that's the same in all cities to go to. It's probably best for your parents to visit Coventry on an open day so they can see for themselves. Give them the opportunity to speak to current students and lecturers on what Coventry is like.

I hope you're able to find a resolution to your situation. If there's anything the student ambassadors at Coventry can help you with, let us know.

Veronica
Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.38%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.9%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
6.03%
I need help with my personal statement (44)
37.93%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (29)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.72%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.03%

Watched Threads