feel ugly without makeup

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi, i’m 21 and i’ve been wearing make up since i was 12. I can’t leave the house without make up. I don’t wear caked make up but i would have to have eyeshadow, mascara concealer and bronzer at the very least to just run to the shop.
I could never go out without my eyes done as i have big eye bags and short eyelashes.

My guy friend saw me on video call once and said how different i looked n couldn’t believe it was me without make up. He didn’t mean it but it really affected me.

i would love to be able to leave my house without make up and not worry but any time i have not worn make up people i know have said to me “you look so sick, you look tired, are you ok? you’re so pale” when really i just didn’t have my make up on. So those comments have made me worried about going out without any make up on in case i meet someone. i would be so embarrassed.

i’m not sure how to get over this. I’m not confident about my looks and people have told me i’m pretty etc with make up on but no one has said it with no make up on lol.

it’s definitely a confidence issue - even if a random person comes to the door (post man, electric man) i can’t answer it without my make up on.

i’m not sure what to do
Moonlight Rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi. I used to be a bit like you as a 14 year old, wearing makeup outside cause I felt insecure about my dark circles and discoloration on my face. And it makes it much worse when people make fun of your appearance or in your case, tell you that you look sick. It's not fun hearing that and it just makes things a whole lot worse. I get that. I suggest just going cold turkey like stop wearing makeup for at least a day, go out without it. People are gonna say what they're going to say and that's just a part of life. Society has placed so much importance on how we look and it's a really sad thing but you don't have to follow the crowd. It is okay to be yourself. Your face and body are valid no matter what anybody says. You don't need to style your hair, hide your pimples/dark circles, dress in high fashion, shave body hair like you don't need to do any of that. It's hard to believe now but you don't need to change a thing. I couldn't even post a pic on social media without makeup without feeling so judged and ugly but now I rarely wear makeup and haven't in like 2 years. Having very low self esteem about your appearance or anything is going to take a lot of time and effort in battling. I had to take anti depressants to help with it but not everybody needs to. Forget about striving for perfection or beauty, you don't need to feel beautiful, however you do need to feel valid. Try to turn those negative words in your head and make them love and appreciate you. Take small steps everyday like being kinder to yourself and believing you deserve happiness and inner peace and you will eventually get there. Good luck
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hi, i’m 21 and i’ve been wearing make up since i was 12. I can’t leave the house without make up. I don’t wear caked make up but i would have to have eyeshadow, mascara concealer and bronzer at the very least to just run to the shop.
I could never go out without my eyes done as i have big eye bags and short eyelashes.

My guy friend saw me on video call once and said how different i looked n couldn’t believe it was me without make up. He didn’t mean it but it really affected me.

i would love to be able to leave my house without make up and not worry but any time i have not worn make up people i know have said to me “you look so sick, you look tired, are you ok? you’re so pale” when really i just didn’t have my make up on. So those comments have made me worried about going out without any make up on in case i meet someone. i would be so embarrassed.

i’m not sure how to get over this. I’m not confident about my looks and people have told me i’m pretty etc with make up on but no one has said it with no make up on lol.

it’s definitely a confidence issue - even if a random person comes to the door (post man, electric man) i can’t answer it without my make up on.

i’m not sure what to do
I used to be worried too, especially with spots due to the masks. What saved me wasn't self-confidence or anything, it was laziness. Start equating makeup with effort. " Do I really want to bother?" Usually, my answer was no. I'm just too tired to be afraid of being judged, it's 2021, I've got my own sh*t to deal with.
righteousx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should wear makeup because you enjoy it

If a man rejects you for not wearing makeup, then he is shallow.
Anonymous #1
thank you so much 💜
catchrylie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm somewhat similar to you. I'm 18 and I'm hardly seen without at least a little bit of makeup on my face. See, between the ages of 12 and 16, I was called stuff like pimple head, zit face, and pizza face. So, to combat this, I started wearing makeup to cover up the acne. I stopped being called those things. But, because of the name-calling in school, I cannot face the world without at least some foundation on my face along with some false lashes because my natural lashes are so short and virtually non-existant. The only people who have seen me sans makeup are my best mates and my teammates on the sports teams I compete on.

I'm supposed to be seeing a dermatologist at some point to see what we can do about the acne. Maybe I can finally face the world sans makeup again.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by catchrylie)
I'm somewhat similar to you. I'm 18 and I'm hardly seen without at least a little bit of makeup on my face. See, between the ages of 12 and 16, I was called stuff like pimple head, zit face, and pizza face. So, to combat this, I started wearing makeup to cover up the acne. I stopped being called those things. But, because of the name-calling in school, I cannot face the world without at least some foundation on my face along with some false lashes because my natural lashes are so short and virtually non-existant. The only people who have seen me sans makeup are my best mates and my teammates on the sports teams I compete on.

I'm supposed to be seeing a dermatologist at some point to see what we can do about the acne. Maybe I can finally face the world sans makeup again.
thank you 😊
Agata0001
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've had this problem too. I was ashamed of everyone and everything. I used to buy and wear makeup all the time. I've been ruining my skin as much as I could since I was a kid. It's good that at least when I grew up I started to earn good money and was able to buy expensive quality cosmetics. When I go into a store I can barely walk out of there. My eyes are scattered. I want to buy everything. Basically I choose cosmetics with a great cosmetic mockup. Appearance is also important I think. I can only advise on how to cope with this problem from my own experience. I could not suddenly stop going without makeup. So I did it gradually. On certain days I went for a walk without makeup. And so gradually and gradually. Now I only wear makeup on holidays or if I am going out. To stand out somehow. And in everyday life I go without makeup. The main thing is to believe in yourself and be patient.
Last edited by Agata0001; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
14.84%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.25%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.47%
I need help with my personal statement (48)
37.5%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (33)
25.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.34%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.81%

Watched Threads