jas.k123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
my native language is punjabi, and i want to learn it to connect more with my indian culture. my parents are both fluent, and while i know bits of it, im mainly in the dark. does anyone know how i can learn it (im not too worried about the writing and reading part, speaking is my main priority)
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jas.k.h)
my native language is punjabi, and i want to learn it to connect more with my indian culture. my parents are both fluent, and while i know bits of it, im mainly in the dark. does anyone know how i can learn it (im not too worried about the writing and reading part, speaking is my main priority)
Have conversations with your parents. Tell them to correct you when you get something wrong.
AstonMed99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey I learned mostly through listening to my parents as a kid because they spoke it to each other. I then started talking it to my parents sometimes and picked up fluency. I too have no idea how to read or write the language, but luckily speaking is the easiest thing to pick up through daily life. Try picking up keywords in conversation and go from there applying the same words yourself.
anon1830486
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
pick up words from your parents or learn with siblings as i wanted to learn urdu and I just said urdu sentences as I had picked words from my parents and siblings and that was more easier to learn
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (7)
4.96%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
17.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.02%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (20)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
29.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (25)
17.73%

Watched Threads