The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University 2022 Applicant Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mxciej.j
Im thinking of applying to Lancaster to do psychology, annoyingly though I can't attend any of the open days because its too far fora day trip in my circumstance unfortunately so im on here to figure out what its like :smile:

Hey I visited today it was really good, would recommend looking on YouTube and TikTok as people post videos on there showing the campus etc xx
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by emily5411
I went it was really good x

It was :smile: my youngest daughter went to check out zoology this weekend. My eldest studies there so did not need to visit the accommodation, so we just checked out the talk and the department, and also had sultans which is the takeaway/sit in restaurant. Then dropped the eldest daughter off in the city at the end of the day as she's living there now, ready for second year. There is another one in October if anyone has missed it. If anyone is staying overnight travelodge before J33 from the south on the M6, or premier inn when coming off jct 34 of the M6 (or travelodge in the heart of the city).
What course are you applying for?: MRes researching astromicrobiology
What subjects are you currently studying?: None
Predicted A level grades: N/A (got a first class BSc)
GCSE grades: N/A
What other universities are you applying to?: None
Why Lancaster?: Flexible MRes programmed with a good facility, within commuting distance
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: I work full-time in my chosen field and I have completed multiple paid internships to boost my portfolio
Reply 23
Original post by jwinoliver
What course are you applying for?: MRes researching astromicrobiology
What subjects are you currently studying?: None
Predicted A level grades: N/A (got a first class BSc)
GCSE grades: N/A
What other universities are you applying to?: None
Why Lancaster?: Flexible MRes programmed with a good facility, within commuting distance
What have you done strengthen your application (extracurriculars)?: I work full-time in my chosen field and I have completed multiple paid internships to boost my portfolio

Excellent what a great unique subject :smile:
What course: BA Economics
What unis are you thinking of: Lancaster, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, St Andrews
A level predicted grades: A*AA in history, english lit and psych - no maths i know :frown:
GCSE grades: 9998888776
Hi! I've just received a conditional offer for Lancaster but they are only asking me to verify my qualifications. Do I just send a copy of my certificate to them?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I've just received a conditional offer for Lancaster but they are only asking me to verify my qualifications. Do I just send a copy of my certificate to them?

Ring the admissions or the person who sent the email and ask for clarification.

Congrats! Can I just ask how long it took to get your offer thanks 😊
Congrats! Can I just ask how long it took to get your offer thanks 😊

Hi! I applied on the 5th of October. My offer has just been changed to an unconditional too!
Hi! I applied on the 5th of October. My offer has just been changed to an unconditional too!

Wow that’s amazing! I was just wondering as the website says 3weeks for an offer but it seems to be a bit longer.
Wow that’s amazing! I was just wondering as the website says 3weeks for an offer but it seems to be a bit longer.

Yeah I started to worry after the 3 week mark but I just assume it has something to do with covid :smile:
Reply 31

Hey congrats :smile: It can take a little while but they do come back you. Same with interviews as well, it was 5 weeks before my eldest got an interview (nov 2019), and some were waiting a little longer last year due to covid, but they will contact you :smile:

Hi there,

That's probably the case, but if it hasn't been stated explicitly it is probably worth checking.
You should either email the admission team specific to the degree you've applied for (probably the email they've been using to contact you with).
If you aren't sure or don't have the email, here is the general admissions team's email.

[email protected]

Hope this helps,
Abby, Student Ambassador

Hi there,

They should get in contact with you soon, but the three week mark is dependant on the course you've applied for, and if interviews etc. are required.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you find yourself stressed out by it as time moves on, you can always contact the admissions team by email or phone.

[email protected]
+44 (0)1524 592028

Hope this helps,
Don't stress too much!
Abby, Student Ambassador
Reply 34

Congrats!! what course did you apply for?
Original post by jj.o
Congrats!! what course did you apply for?

French studies with Italian :smile:
Reply 36
I applied last Friday and all my other unis got back to me with an offer by Wednesday. Lancaster is the only place I like and I'm still waiting on a reply. Bit scared for it to take 3 weeks as I don't think I can wait that long aha
Reply 37
Original post by caitelc
I applied last Friday and all my other unis got back to me with an offer by Wednesday. Lancaster is the only place I like and I'm still waiting on a reply. Bit scared for it to take 3 weeks as I don't think I can wait that long aha

Aww try not to worry. My eldest applied 4th October and got an offer November 13th (2019). It depends on the course and that department as to how long they take, but they will come back to you :smile:
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Lancaster uni uncovered thread is here, which has some info on the uni and the city. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6904136

Open Days:bl:
And in person open days are back :smile: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/open-days/undergraduate-open-days/
18th of September and 16th of October.
Few tips on open days if anyone decides to go.
Parking
Parking is free. If you can try and start at either Pendle or County college. County college this is where the north spine starts. Pendle College is where the south spine starts. We parked at the info lab (the blue and orange modern building) and walked from Pendle college up to County College (south to north, passing through Alexandra square in the middle). Then at the end of the day, check out Lonsdale/Cartmel on south west campus.

Places to eat on open day? We tried Fylde College bar which did some good burgers which looks like they also do a vegan selection https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/media/lancaster-university/content-assets/documents/facilities/eat/menus/NewMillMenuSept19(002)(2).pdf
Another hit is Sultans. Very friendly, and they often give a free water away as well :smile:
Other venues are on this map:
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/media/lancaster-university/content-assets/documents/facilities/eat/CampusLifeMap.pdf

Department tours are worth doing and also the subject talks, as well as seeing the library and accommodation on offer.

Accommodation
Accommodation we saw was the Pendle Standard room and the County Townhouse. Pendle standard is pretty decent and compared to other unis, was pretty good, and not bad in price (also has the best laundry!). Townhouses have a longer contract and daughter stayed in a Grizedale townhouse, so if anyone wants to know about a townhouse such as the layout, what its like to live there, let me know and ill try and help. Other accommodation that was on offer to view was superior ensuite (didn't get to see that one). They might change it up and have different accommodation this time, so bear that in mind.

City sightseeing
If you want to see the city, I recommend parking wise at a pay and display car park called 'auction mart'. It starts at one end of town. If your staying at the Travelodge in the city, then I recommend you park at this carpark, because the one outside the Travelodge is small and always full. Premier inn at the north of Lancaster heading to and area called 'Bulk' has parking on site.
If you start at auction mart, then make your way to Penny street. This street then becomes pedestrianised and turns into a street called Cheapside. Its worth walking down here to see the shops and little cafes. Marketgate shopping centre and St nics shopping centre is nice to look round. Then when you get to Bella italia, take a left onto church street. Here are many bars such at the study room, the cornerhouse and the crafty scholar are popular student places. If you cant park at Auction mart, then marketgate shopping centre has a car park on the top of the building.
Recommend eating at a place called the water witch on the canal front which faces the chancellors wharf accommodation (where 2nd years plus go). The food is superb.

I’m currently looking at Grizedale Townhouse. Could you please give me any information on it you can?Maybe what it was like living there, if sharing the kitchen between 12 was fine, the rooms, sharing a bathroom etc, anything really Thank you!
Reply 39
Original post by evelinafad
I’m currently looking at Grizedale Townhouse. Could you please give me any information on it you can?Maybe what it was like living there, if sharing the kitchen between 12 was fine, the rooms, sharing a bathroom etc, anything really Thank you!

Yes, my daughter lived in Grizedale Townhouse Sept 2020-July 2021. She absolutely loved it. Sharing a kitchen with 12 was fine. Because of everyones timetables, people cooked at different times.
And the bathrooms, no problem at all. You get 3 floors worth of bedrooms. Each floor has 4 bedrooms and two bathrooms. She was on the floor above the kitchen/living room. What her floor did was have 2 bedrooms share one bathroom, and if their bathroom was being used, they can use the second bathroom on that floor and it worked out very well. There was always a bathroom free. Also there is a toilet on the bottom floor next to the kitchen too.
Living there was very good. The flat did the freshers week (part on line parties/ part tables of 6 at the clubs back then (not anymore thank goodness)). They did get covid, but they all got very inventive during isolation. bake off, turning bedrooms into a bar crawl, movie nights, board games, and a treat from sultans the local campus chip/kabab shop who delivered to their door. They would make an excuse be it a half birthday (if your actual birthday fell on a time when you was not at uni) or halloween, valentines, christmas etc to have a themed birthday party. for my daughters it was Disney. They did a tie yourself to another flat mate night, 1920's night and others. They would do this around once a week, then a movie night once a week as the other nights they would be too busy with work. Eventually 1 of the twelve moved in with next door but 1 flat who they get on really well with. Then 3 others got a house, and my daughter was in the group of the other 8 who got a 4 storey flat in the city for second year.
I would say bring a bottle, some choccies, they go as a nice way to say hi. Also a door stop to keep your door open. She brought a white board which went down a storm with the other flat mates. They did some great board games with it and messages like ' who's down for pub tonight?' and people would put their names down. My daughter doesnt drink and not a clubby type of person, but Grizedale townhouse really was so right for her and living there made her very confident in herself :smile:
PS you cant play loud music after 11pm, as the porters tell you off, so you cant party hard too much if you need that important sleep :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6562744&page=3 bit further down the page is a blog I kept of her first year (we had her permission of course ) :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending