Rose_99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm interest in both degrees however I would like to do a masters and was wondering if I was at a disadvantage by studying a dual degree
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rose_99)
I'm interest in both degrees however I would like to do a masters and was wondering if I was at a disadvantage by studying a dual degree
Hi!

With psychology you want to check whether the course is accredited by the BPS (British Psychological Society) - often combined degrees with psychology are not accredited because they don't cover all the key content for the accreditation. If you wish to work as a psychologist you will need an accredited degree, if you do not, then you don't need to worry about the course being accredited. You also do not need a masters in Psychology if your undergrad course is accredited by the BPS, you can go straight onto a doctorate if you wish.

I wouldn't say combined degrees are any harder or more challenging, if anything they are more interesting because of the variety of subject matter you cover through out your course. Psychology and sociology compliment each other very well and cover some very interesting topics!

I hope this helps you out

Andrew
UoP Student Rep
Last edited by University of Portsmouth Student Rep; 1 month ago
Rose_99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

With psychology you want to check whether the course is accredited by the BPS (British Psychological Society) - often combined degrees with psychology are not accredited because they don't cover all the key content for the accreditation. If you wish to work as a psychologist you will need an accredited degree, if you do not, then you don't need to worry about the course being accredited. You also do not need a masters in Psychology if your undergrad course is accredited by the BPS, you can go straight onto a doctorate if you wish.

I wouldn't say combined degrees are any harder or more challenging, if anything they are more interesting because of the variety of subject matter you cover through out your course. Psychology and sociology compliment each other very well and cover some very interesting topics!

I hope this helps you out

Andrew
UoP Student Rep
Thank you so much. I have just been debating between a couple of courses
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (17)
7.33%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.66%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (40)
17.24%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.66%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (62)
26.72%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.4%

Watched Threads