ConcernedDad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I wonder if anyone can help.

My daughter has been offered a place at UEA (she’s delighted).

She needs to supply proof of her A Level grades by Tuesday 3rd August.

Problem is, we can’t find her certificates (she took the exams 2 years ago) and that, to my knowledge, is the only proof they will accept.

I’d normally contact admissions but it’s Friday night, I’ve only just been told about the issue and I can’t contact admissions until Monday (the day before the deadline).

In short, I’m desperate!

Can anyone help? Is there anyone from UEA online who can advise?

Many thanks in advance!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Try contacting the college / institution where she got her a levels, they may be able to help in getting new certificates (i think you may have to go through the exam boards possibly, but the college may be able to help guide you in the process). If you at least know new certificates are on their way that might go in your favour when you contact the uni, they may just be able to extend the deadline.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unis will usually accept an email from the relevant school confirming the student's results - or even a scan of a a results notification / results slip issued by the school at the time. Email / phone UEA to check.

Alternatively you can ask for a statement-of-results from the relevant exam boards - but I'm not sure how long this would take - https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-certificate
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Just got some useful links from google:

https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-certificate

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...m-certificates
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ConcernedDad)
I wonder if anyone can help.

My daughter has been offered a place at UEA (she’s delighted).

She needs to supply proof of her A Level grades by Tuesday 3rd August.

Problem is, we can’t find her certificates (she took the exams 2 years ago) and that, to my knowledge, is the only proof they will accept.

I’d normally contact admissions but it’s Friday night, I’ve only just been told about the issue and I can’t contact admissions until Monday (the day before the deadline).

In short, I’m desperate!

Can anyone help? Is there anyone from UEA online who can advise?

Many thanks in advance!
Certificates cannot be reissued for public examinations. You can contact the boards for a certified statement of results, but that's going to take longer than a few days. Alternatively she can use her PLR (personal learner record) which is a digital record of public examinations if she's registered for that.

I think the time pressure is going to be a problem, but they should be amenable to a short delay in producing these certificates. Compost - what would you recommend here?
ConcernedDad
Rep:
?
Thanks guys. We’ve requested proof from the exam board but it takes up to 4 weeks and there’s no fast tracking. I think my daughter’s tried the school but I need to query that with her. It feels like we’re in for a weekend of nail biting unless somebody from admissions at UEA happens to frequent this site?! :-(
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks guys. We’ve requested proof from the exam board but it takes up to 4 weeks and there’s no fast tracking. I think my daughter’s tried the school but I need to query that with her. It feels like we’re in for a weekend of nail biting unless somebody from admissions at UEA happens to frequent this site?! :-(
Summon them thus:

University of East Anglia - can you help this chap?

Don't worry about it - this sort of thing happens frequently. Even if they don't respond today, it'll wait until Monday.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
If the certificates have gone missing, it's not very likely that they'll have the little throwaway results slip to hand
This info is as much for any other users as for this particular parent - and in my 30+ years experience of working with teenage students, this sort of logic often does not apply.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your best bet is the school - your daughter may never even have collected her certificates - but it is also quite likely that there is no one there to respond to the message. In particular, the majority of exams officers are only paid to be there in term time and for results days so may not pick anything up until 9 August. However, anyone who is at the school at this time of year who is half way competent using the schools management information system ought to be able to find evidence of your daughter's results and to email that (with your daughter's permission) to UEA.

Failing that I think most universities will know how hard it is to provide proof at short notice in the holidays and may be more understanding than you think.
ConcernedDad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Certificates cannot be reissued for public examinations. You can contact the boards for a certified statement of results, but that's going to take longer than a few days. Alternatively she can use her PLR (personal learner record) which is a digital record of public examinations if she's registered for that.

I think the time pressure is going to be a problem, but they should be amenable to a short delay in producing these certificates. Compost - what would you recommend here?
OK, I’ve found my daughter’s ULN which I believe is required to access her PLR.

We’ll give that a go. Many thanks to you and everyone else for your help!
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

No problem - and yes, that's a good avenue.
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep: Danielle
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi ConcernedDad, thank you for your question!

Apologies for the delay in response.

Firstly, congratulations to your daughter! We can't wait to welcome her in September. Has this issue been sorted now? Please let us know if we can help, or if you/your daughter have any other questions.

Best wishes,
Danielle
Film and Television Studies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.37%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (32)
15.69%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.18%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (30)
14.71%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (56)
27.45%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (40)
19.61%

Watched Threads