Girlfriend wants me to increase my med dose

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I feel so annoyed. I just got off the phone with my girlfriend and she was very angry at me for refusing to call my psychiatrist today and ask him for a medication dose increase. Yes I have been having auditory hallucinations and paranoid thoughts but I'm already on a high dose so don't want to increase it further because of the side effects.

How can I convince my girlfriend that I am an adult and don't need ****ing telling to increase the dose of the medication I don't even want to take. I need to convince her that I can handle myself?

Thank you.
LilacRoses
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello,

I understand what you mean about your medication's side effects: some side effects can be very troublesome and difficult to live with. However, regarding your girlfriend's opinion on your health, I would try to understand her reason's for wanting you to speak to your psychriatrist: is she worried about how you are right now? Is she worried about your health getting worse. I've found loved ones can get angry when they are concerned.

I would say that in order to 'convince' your girlfriend you 'can handle yourself', your best bet is to have a calm conversation where you both try to not get angry and or defensive and hear each other's ideas on what to do in this situation, and then create a plan which you are both happy with and which could provide a fair solution. I would also say speaking to your psychiatrist would be a good idea, so that you can explain your views on your current medication dosage and then they may be able to work with you to come up with some solutions that work for you and improve your health. If your psychiatrist doesn't know how you feel, then they cannot help you properly, as they may be able to offer alternatives that could help you manage your symptoms better.

Best of luck with figuring things out with your girlfriend and finding the best treatment for your health problem. If you do need emotional support then the Samaritans are there to listen and you can call them on 116 123 at anytime. If you need medical advice before you see your psychiatrist you can call NHS 111 by dialling 111. If it's an emergency then you can call 999. Always remember, you deserve help.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Whilst on the one hand she cant demand you do anything with your meds, on the other hand, she wouldn't be asking this without a good reason (the one you stated being pretty good) it might be worth taking her thoughts into consideration on the matter and at least speaking to the shrink, they might be able to find you a drug that works with less annoying side effects (this type of medicine usually being trial and error until you find one that works anyway)
lucyyy12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
she shouldn’t be asking you to increase your dose when she’s not the one taking them and having the side affects. it’s up to you if you want to increase or not. meds are complicated and can have awful side affects sometimes
Anonymous #1
(Original post by lucyyy12)
she shouldn’t be asking you to increase your dose when she’s not the one taking them and having the side affects. it’s up to you if you want to increase or not. meds are complicated and can have awful side affects sometimes
I agree! She doesn't have to put up with the side effects so what right does she have to tell me what to do?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LilacRoses)
Hello,

I understand what you mean about your medication's side effects: some side effects can be very troublesome and difficult to live with. However, regarding your girlfriend's opinion on your health, I would try to understand her reason's for wanting you to speak to your psychriatrist: is she worried about how you are right now? Is she worried about your health getting worse. I've found loved ones can get angry when they are concerned.

I would say that in order to 'convince' your girlfriend you 'can handle yourself', your best bet is to have a calm conversation where you both try to not get angry and or defensive and hear each other's ideas on what to do in this situation, and then create a plan which you are both happy with and which could provide a fair solution. I would also say speaking to your psychiatrist would be a good idea, so that you can explain your views on your current medication dosage and then they may be able to work with you to come up with some solutions that work for you and improve your health. If your psychiatrist doesn't know how you feel, then they cannot help you properly, as they may be able to offer alternatives that could help you manage your symptoms better.

Best of luck with figuring things out with your girlfriend and finding the best treatment for your health problem. If you do need emotional support then the Samaritans are there to listen and you can call them on 116 123 at anytime. If you need medical advice before you see your psychiatrist you can call NHS 111 by dialling 111. If it's an emergency then you can call 999. Always remember, you deserve help.
Her reasoning is both - both how I am right now as well as things getting worse. I often get paranoia which gets worse but I'm the one putting up with it so what right does she have?

I spoke to her over the weekend and she shouted and got very angry that I refused to call my doctor today. I tried a calm conversation but she's not having it at all. Apparently she is "the one who has to put up" with me. **** that, I have to put up with me primarily.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Napp)
Whilst on the one hand she cant demand you do anything with your meds, on the other hand, she wouldn't be asking this without a good reason (the one you stated being pretty good) it might be worth taking her thoughts into consideration on the matter and at least speaking to the shrink, they might be able to find you a drug that works with less annoying side effects (this type of medicine usually being trial and error until you find one that works anyway)
I have a psychiatrist appointment in 3 weeks so I'm happy to wait until then. She however is not and wants me to call asap.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You were right too, it's your body and mind, not hers, only you get to decide what goes in it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (363)
84.22%
No (68)
15.78%

Watched Threads