Do you have to complete higher maths gcse to take further maths gcse

Watch
Acallanan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello ,
I was wondering if you have to take maths gcse to take higher maths gcse the next year or if instead you can you skip to higher maths gcse
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When you take Maths GCSE you are entered for Higher or Foundation, there is no requirement to start with Foundation and then take Higher later.

The Level 2 certificate in Further Maths is not connected to GCSE Maths in any way - you could take it without even taking GCSE Maths, but if you haven't got a solid grasp of the content in GCSE Maths (Higher Tier) there isn't much point as you'd be very unlikely to pass - you'd be better off spending more time on GCSE Maths.
Acallanan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Compost)
When you take Maths GCSE you are entered for Higher or Foundation, there is no requirement to start with Foundation and then take Higher later.

The Level 2 certificate in Further Maths is not connected to GCSE Maths in any way - you could take it without even taking GCSE Maths, but if you haven't got a solid grasp of the content in GCSE Maths (Higher Tier) there isn't much point as you'd be very unlikely to pass - you'd be better off spending more time on GCSE Maths.
I would still be covering the content of higher maths, but not taking the exam due to medical/personal issues

So to clarify I could take gcse further maths without having taken the gcse higher maths exam?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Acallanan)
I would still be covering the content of higher maths, but not taking the exam due to medical/personal issues

So to clarify I could take gcse further maths without having taken the gcse higher maths exam?
They are 2 completely separate qualifications, so yes, you could take the Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths without ever taking GCSE Maths. However, if you have taken GCSE Maths at Foundation level and so only have a 5 or below you would be better off re-sitting that to improve your grade rather than bothering with Further Maths at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.91%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.1%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.91%

Watched Threads