The Student Room Group

Access course via Advanced Learner Loan

In 2018 I completed my NVQ Level 3 in Health and Social Care via an advanced learner loan.

Fast forward to now, I want to do an access course in health and go to university for Midwifery.

During a phone call to student finance an advisor told me I might be ineligible due to already holding a level 3 in health and social care which was taken out through an advanced learner loan. I explained the gov.uk website states I can have up to 4 loans at the same level. He said its because the courses may be the same, I explained that nvq level 3 in health and social care can get me into a senior position within a care home/care industry but not university. An access to health will allow me to go to HE (university )to study. He then told me my nvq may be classed as higher education. But online it states its equivalent to an A level not higher education. He then said he doesn't know and just said to try.

But my issue is, I'm able to start unit 1 while I await to be approved but do I bother if I'm only going to be rejected?

So I'm confused as what to do as I was under the impression I could do an access course eventhough I've done an NVQ.
Original post by KHomer94
In 2018 I completed my NVQ Level 3 in Health and Social Care via an advanced learner loan.

Fast forward to now, I want to do an access course in health and go to university for Midwifery.

During a phone call to student finance an advisor told me I might be ineligible due to already holding a level 3 in health and social care which was taken out through an advanced learner loan. I explained the gov.uk website states I can have up to 4 loans at the same level. He said its because the courses may be the same, I explained that nvq level 3 in health and social care can get me into a senior position within a care home/care industry but not university. An access to health will allow me to go to HE (university )to study. He then told me my nvq may be classed as higher education. But online it states its equivalent to an A level not higher education. He then said he doesn't know and just said to try.

But my issue is, I'm able to start unit 1 while I await to be approved but do I bother if I'm only going to be rejected?

So I'm confused as what to do as I was under the impression I could do an access course eventhough I've done an NVQ.

Hi, if you have not had funding for an Access to HE course before then you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan. It's not the same course as an NVQ.

You need to find an eligible provider and they need to give you a 'learning and funding' information letter before you can apply.

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending