The Student Room Group

Turning 21 in my first year

I had retaken my a levels but then took a gap year to do resits. Now I’m starting university at age 20 and will be turning 21 in my first year. I’m worried about living in halls with the freshers who are 18-19 because they seem so much younger. I view 18 year olds as basically children and I think they’ll see me as ancient. I don’t have a lot of life experience and I’m not mature by any means. I’m mistaken for a 15 year old in public because of my voice and shy demeanour (not necessarily my appearance.) Could I do freshers week? Could I join university societies like normal? I feel like I’ll be really out of place.
Reply 1
Also I’m a woman so would I even be able to meet any guys to befriend or date? I feel younger guys want girls their own age or a little younger, not old women like me.
Of course its fine, people really dont view age. I just finished first year (only just turned 19 in June) all my mates are turning 21 this year. None the wiser really. My flat mates were 18-19 but they were the older end of 19. In my course i felt as if i was the youngest one there as most of them were gap year students. Youll find loads of people your age no problems at all!

Good luck with it! Enjoy
Original post by Anonymous
I had retaken my a levels but then took a gap year to do resits. Now I’m starting university at age 20 and will be turning 21 in my first year. I’m worried about living in halls with the freshers who are 18-19 because they seem so much younger. I view 18 year olds as basically children and I think they’ll see me as ancient. I don’t have a lot of life experience and I’m not mature by any means. I’m mistaken for a 15 year old in public because of my voice and shy demeanour (not necessarily my appearance.) Could I do freshers week? Could I join university societies like normal? I feel like I’ll be really out of place.

You will be fine, yes of course you can you can go out & join societies;
it will only be a problem if you make it a problem.
Reply 4
It definitely won't stop you from joining in with anything; you don't even technically count as a mature student yet in most unis, so you won't be the oldest by any means! I'm in the same position and 18 year olds do seem really young to me too, but I know they don't see me as older, so it will literally only be an issue if I decide to make it one.

Uni isn't like school anyway, there are a lot more opportunities to meet people in other years (most of my friends at my first uni attempt were 21+ year olds that I met at societies).
Reply 5
Thanks for the reassurance and it’s cool to come across someone in a similar situation to me :smile:

Are you going to be staying in halls and doing freshers week?
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
You will be fine, yes of course you can you can go out & join societies;
it will only be a problem if you make it a problem.

Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by Interea
It definitely won't stop you from joining in with anything; you don't even technically count as a mature student yet in most unis, so you won't be the oldest by any means! I'm in the same position and 18 year olds do seem really young to me too, but I know they don't see me as older, so it will literally only be an issue if I decide to make it one.

Uni isn't like school anyway, there are a lot more opportunities to meet people in other years (most of my friends at my first uni attempt were 21+ year olds that I met at societies).

Thanks for the reassurance and it’s cool to come across someone in a similar situation to me :smile:

Reply 8

Yep, should be a lot of fun :biggrin:
Reply 9
Also I’m a woman so would I even be able to meet any guys to befriend or date? I feel younger guys want girls their own age or a little younger, not old women like me.

Its ok i am 21 and currently going into second year for similar reasons but personally I think their is a lot of students who would date someone the same age as you as most people don't really tend to see the age your kind of seen as another one of the students lol

Hey! I joined university when I was 22 and had similar worries. I thought I would be out of place with lots of younger people however I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was a range of ages on my course (18,21,35) and around the university. You most certainly can do freshers week - it's there for any uni students and the same applies for societies. When you get to uni you will realise that there is such a diverse mix of people and ages and the worrying you were doing before won't even be thought about - this is what I found!

Hope this was helpful,

Hollie :smile:
Honestly university is so different to school, no one is fussed about age I promise you. I thought I was old just from being a year behind my 'age group' but people can do university at any age in adulthood! At least 50% of my course are over 30 and it made no difference as to how much we have in common, how much we get along and how comfortable we'd feel being out with each other and talking. Freshers should be no different, if someone's put off by you being a couple of years older then it sounds like they're not someone who fits your maturity bracket anyway so that's a good red flag to have! You'll meet so many people, and so many people a lot older than you too of both genders. It'll work out!

~ Chloe

Heyy!

Please do not worry about this AT ALL - I started uni at the same age and I found there were actually a lot of people my age - a lot more than I ever thought there would be! Also, remember that you really are not too much older, most of the time you won't ever notice the difference. Don't let this put you off going to uni!

Yes, you for sure can do freshers week! You won't be out of place, everyone at uni is really accepting. Hope this helps :smile:

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student

Once you go to uni you’ll see how unimportant age actually is. I have a 25 year old on my course! It doesn’t matter at all. The only thing I would say is that I was 19 going on 20 when I went into my first year and by then I’d already done a whole year of partying and drinking so I wasn’t keen on the house parties, drinking. But if that’s your thing then you will be fine. Absolutely no one will care that you’re 21. 18 year olds are pretty impressionable anyway, they’ll probably think you’re cool and mature.

You will be fine. my daughter has a great friend who is older in her flat, and everyone all gets on the same. Freshers week is not for long and everyone falls into a routine of thier course and not everyone can go out every night of the week as they have work commitments. her flat made an effort for a once a week get together, but the rest of the time, they had their own timetables.

Hello,

There have been some great tips!

I would really emphasize that university years are different to school/college years. Especially this year, many students defer/ take gap years/ resit A-levels or decide in later life that they would like to study for a degree.

Whilst it is most common for 18-year-olds to go into first year, there is such a mix of ages!

Going into university should be something to look forward to and i would encourage you to enjoy as much of the process as possible.

I suggest that you join some Facebook groups and get talking to students in a similar position as you before you begin your studies. When you arrive at university, try not to prioritise age when meeting your flatmates or neighbours. In my flat in first year, someone was 23 and it was a few weeks in before we even realised, it doesn't have to divide you! However, i would also join loads of societies and sports clubs and course group chats to meet people from different years/ different accommodations so you can find the people that you would like to call your friends and enjoy your time at university with!

I hope this gives you some reassurance and i hope you are looking forward to joining university!

Antonia :h:
University of Liverpool - student ambassador

Hey there!
I turned 21 in my first year! Nobody even knew my age, and I didn't even really know anybody else's! You'll find lots of like-minded people on the same course as you.
Universities are accepting of everybody, you'll fit right in, just like everybody else! You won't be turned away from any events, any societies etc. You're just as valid a student regardless of what age you are as everybody else. At Plymouth College of Art, we have lots of mature students (25yrs+) taking degrees who will get just as involved as younger students. It's your time at University, it's what you make of it! Nobody will be there to tell you you can't do anything so don't worry!

All the best,
Jess
Student Ambassador and MA Illustration Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending