Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence

Watch
Conlove
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm starting on the CS and AI course in September. Is there anyone who has completed first year that can recommend me things to prepare in the 2 months until I start? E.G Specific languages or programming concepts, any mathematical areas etc.
cvgk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
learn c++ and python
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Conlove)
I'm starting on the CS and AI course in September. Is there anyone who has completed first year that can recommend me things to prepare in the 2 months until I start? E.G Specific languages or programming concepts, any mathematical areas etc.
Hello Conlove,

In my first year, we had a lot of core modules in Java so I would strongly recommend you to learn Java if you want to be prepared for the first year. It will also be good to brush up on linear algebra as well. The courses are designed for people with no coding experience so you will still be able to complete the modules and assignments without having any previous experience.

The best advice I can give you is to finish assignments early, so you form a good habit from the beginning and not leave everything at the last minute. I made this mistake thinking it is only the first year and the grades don't count, but it made it harder for me in my second year as I found it difficult to break out of the habit and my grades were suffering because of this.

It would be best to read the module descriptions so you know what you will be learning and look up relevant topics before starting your course.
For more information about the modules, please visit the course page for Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence BSc (Hons).

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
Erica (3rd Year Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Student)
Conlove
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps)
Hello Conlove,

In my first year, we had a lot of core modules in Java so I would strongly recommend you to learn Java if you want to be prepared for the first year. It will also be good to brush up on linear algebra as well. The courses are designed for people with no coding experience so you will still be able to complete the modules and assignments without having any previous experience.

The best advice I can give you is to finish assignments early, so you form a good habit from the beginning and not leave everything at the last minute. I made this mistake thinking it is only the first year and the grades don't count, but it made it harder for me in my second year as I found it difficult to break out of the habit and my grades were suffering because of this.

It would be best to read the module descriptions so you know what you will be learning and look up relevant topics before starting your course.
For more information about the modules, please visit the course page for Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence BSc (Hons).

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
Erica (3rd Year Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Student)
Thank you very much, I'll be getting started on the Java codecademy course LOL
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.63%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
15.82%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.84%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (29)
14.8%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (54)
27.55%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (36)
18.37%

Watched Threads