Can't pay advanced rent at all

Watch
emily332332
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I've had various panic attacks about this, worried that I'll be homeless when I go to university. I'm going to Anglia Ruskin university in September and I'll be staying in Sedley court. I have paid the deposit but don't have a penny to my name to pay the Advanced rent which is like almost £900! I have contacted them but have no clue what to do. I'm panicking.. very very worried. They can't turn me down if I've paid my deposit right?

+ Just to add. I have called them up before saying I wouldn't be able to pay it and all they kept repeating was "its not due till August." Which made me even more worried.
Last edited by emily332332; 1 month ago
Wildean99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I know that this a long term solution necessarily but may help in the short term, have you considered opening a student bank account? I think with Santander, for instance you get £1500 of an overdraft and so you could use that whilst waiting for your first student loan payment to come through. I know that it isn't an ideal situation but it could help to alleviate some of the stress.
emily332332
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wildean99)
Hi, I know that this a long term solution necessarily but may help in the short term, have you considered opening a student bank account? I think with Santander, for instance you get £1500 of an overdraft and so you could use that whilst waiting for your first student loan payment to come through. I know that it isn't an ideal situation but it could help to alleviate some of the stress.
It sounds really dumb but I have no clue how to do that. And I'm with Halifax so I have no clue what they offer..
Wildean99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't worry about it, it's a difficult system to navigate I'd you're not used to it. This is a link to the student accounts offered at Halifax, it says here that they also have overdrafts of £1,500 so that's really helpful too - https://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccoun...t-account.html

I'd recommend having a look on their website and maybe try either calling or going into your local branch to set one up. I did the latter when setting up my student bank account and it was a pretty quick process. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions or queries!
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
An overdraft isn’t going to resolve things if you don’t have money coming to pay it off. Have you budgeted what’s coming from the student loan and what your likely outgoings are going to be? Many uni’s have a budget calculator to get you started.

If might be worth speaking to your Uni about a hardship loan or similar. However, these may not be available to you until you are an enrolled student.
Wildean99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
An overdraft isn’t going to resolve things if you don’t have money coming to pay it off. Have you budgeted what’s coming from the student loan and what your likely outgoings are going to be? Many uni’s have a budget calculator to get you started.

If might be worth speaking to your Uni about a hardship loan or similar. However, these may not be available to you until you are an enrolled student.
Yes I agree. I made those suggestions on the assumption that OP would be in receipt of a student loan in the near future that would cover these expenses but you're right to raise the point because this was an assumption on my part. I definitely agree with doing some budgeting to work out expenses as well as researching into the hardship funding that is available at your prospective university. This may help to cover using the overdraft once you're enrolled but it's definitely worth making sure that this is definitely the case beforehand.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wildean99)
Yes I agree. I made those suggestions on the assumption that OP would be in receipt of a student loan in the near future that would cover these expenses but you're right to raise the point because this was an assumption on my part. I definitely agree with doing some budgeting to work out expenses as well as researching into the hardship funding that is available at your prospective university. This may help to cover using the overdraft once you're enrolled but it's definitely worth making sure that this is definitely the case beforehand.
Absolutely and I wasn’t criticising your reply. Overdrafts can be handy, (I dip into mine every now and again), but they are just a stopgap and you need to have a longer term solution in place.
emily332332
Rep:
?
Thanks for all the replies and advice! I was able to get the money however. Everything is okay and I won't be homeless at University!
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How old are you? Are you financially dependant on anyone right now (like parents for example)?
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by emily332332)
Thanks for all the replies and advice! I was able to get the money however. Everything is okay and I won't be homeless at University!
Oh that's good to hear, thanks for the update. Where'd you get the money from?
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
emily332332
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Oh that's good to hear, thanks for the update. Where'd you get the money from?
Ah, family. My grandmother recieved a lot of money through her pension. I borrowed £900 from her so that I could pay rent, be able to travel and get some basic food and living supplies when I move. Everything will be paid back so please do not worry! As soon as I have a job and have some form of stable income along side my Student loan, money will be paid back to her!
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by emily332332)
Ah, family. My grandmother recieved a lot of money through her pension. I borrowed £900 from her so that I could pay rent, be able to travel and get some basic food and living supplies when I move. Everything will be paid back so please do not worry! As soon as I have a job and have some form of stable income along side my Student loan, money will be paid back to her!
well done on sorting out your problem. families are so important.
emily332332
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
well done on sorting out your problem. families are so important.
Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.63%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.86%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
18.07%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.06%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (66)
26.51%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.88%

Watched Threads