When are fidget toys bad?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have autism with sensory processing difficulties, and anxiety meaning that I fidget a lot. I always have something in my hand like a tangle or dimple or spinner to help me focus.

I’m going to university in September and I concerned that I may get seen as weird for this. Anywhere outside of my room I always use smallish and discreet fidgets and they’re all silent or almost silent, but if you’re looking you can still see them.

I don’t know at what age children stop using them, as a few years ago only children with ASD or ADHD used fidget toys but now they’re a craze. Many people I know who didn’t care that I used fidget/sensory toys now think that I need to grow up because they associate these with pre-teens.

I don’t want to have no friends or be seen as the weird person, yet without something I always get really anxious and have a panic attack/meltdown or end up self harming by scratching at my hands to the point of bleeding and sometimes deeper, which is why I have a fidget toy in the first place. I don’t feel the pain properly so I don’t notice I’m doing it and then just get scars.

I guess I’m just asking for advice, like at what age do you see fidget toys as inappropriate, and how can I use them at uni without getting a bad reputation? I’m on anon so my account isn’t spotted as I know a lot of people on here.

Thank you.
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Fidget toys dont have an age limit, they're for anyone who needs them. I know plenty of adults who have stress balls etc. As long as its not noisy or disruptive I cant imagine why it'd give you a bad reputation or be seen as inappropriate.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Foxehh)
Fidget toys dont have an age limit, they're for anyone who needs them. I know plenty of adults who have stress balls etc. As long as its not noisy or disruptive I cant imagine why it'd give you a bad reputation or be seen as inappropriate.
A lot of people I know find them childish. Stress balls are a bit different as they’re promoted by big businesses so they’re seen more as productive. I’m not sure for example a DNA ball or glitter ball of some sort would look professional even though they’re much better for stimming quietly.

Do you know many 18ish yr olds who use fidget toys? I’m the only one that I know but if it’s pretty common then maybe it won’t be so bad?
foobar123
Badges: 11
Report 1 month ago
Considered something a bit more discreet like a bit of blue tac between your fingers? Or spin you pen and fidget with it (try not to click a loud clicky one- annoys lots of people). Chewing gum can work too.
foobar123
Badges: 11
Report 1 month ago
elastic band is another one I've used, or a couple of small magnets
Last edited by foobar123; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by foobar123)
elastic band is another one I've used, or a couple of small magnets
Thanks
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A lot of people I know find them childish. Stress balls are a bit different as they’re promoted by big businesses so they’re seen more as productive. I’m not sure for example a DNA ball or glitter ball of some sort would look professional even though they’re much better for stimming quietly.

Do you know many 18ish yr olds who use fidget toys? I’m the only one that I know but if it’s pretty common then maybe it won’t be so bad?
Depending on what they are they can be childish, though Im sure you can find a professional looking one if thats what you're going for. A solid colored glitter ball in black or gray would fit that.
I know older teens who have them, not sure if they use them at school/uni- Im much too focused on myself and my own work as I imagine most other people are too
ax7fold
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
im the same, dyslexic/adhd. Most my friends wanted to take turns messing about it with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.63%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.86%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
18.07%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.06%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (66)
26.51%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.88%

Watched Threads