Lilian32
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys. I’m just wondering if anyone has any ideas for me. I graduated from pharmacy school about two years ago in another country and I do not have a pharmacy license. I’m wondering if there are any options available for me to work in a pharmacy like a pharmacy assistant or technician without a license. I’m currently taking my masters in the uk. I might work towards getting a pharmacy license after that, but I want to know if I can work in a pharmacy before then. Thank you
Sarah H.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Lilian,

There are no licence requirements to work in a pharmacy as an counter assistant or as a dispensing assistant. Good for you to experience community pharmacy first hand before progressing further. Pay not great though.

Could I suggest you concentrate on independent pharmacies rather than multiples? Generally better all round. Just walk in and ask mentioning your previous experience. If no vacancies at least take opportunity to have a chat with pharmacist for their opinions.

Good luck.

Edit: Independent pharmacies far more likely to offer “informal” employment especially to someone with your qualifications. Currently many are very short staffed due to holidays and covid isolations. You may be surprised at the welcome some will give you...... “Can you start tomorrow?”
Last edited by Sarah H.; 1 month ago
ChillBear
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lilian32)
Hi guys. I’m just wondering if anyone has any ideas for me. I graduated from pharmacy school about two years ago in another country and I do not have a pharmacy license. I’m wondering if there are any options available for me to work in a pharmacy like a pharmacy assistant or technician without a license. I’m currently taking my masters in the uk. I might work towards getting a pharmacy license after that, but I want to know if I can work in a pharmacy before then. Thank you
Yes, the requirements to work in a pharmacy are almost non existent in many places. You usually start off as a counter assistant if you have no experience, do training and work your way up to be a dispenser. Given your past experience with pharmacy you might be able to fast track straight into the dispensary. Apply to some local pharmacies and tell them your situation.
Claremont4ever
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would strongly advise you to do the OSPAP conversion course and get your licence. The world becomes your oyster afterwards as a pharmacist. Relocate to the North as a pharmacist and earn circa £50,000/year from day one.

Good luck.
Lilian32
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChillBear)
Yes, the requirements to work in a pharmacy are almost non existent in many places. You usually start off as a counter assistant if you have no experience, do training and work your way up to be a dispenser. Given your past experience with pharmacy you might be able to fast track straight into the dispensary. Apply to some local pharmacies and tell them your situation.
Oh, thank you very much. I’ll try that
Lilian32
Rep:
?
(Original post by Claremont4ever)
I would strongly advise you to do the OSPAP conversion course and get your licence. The world becomes your oyster afterwards as a pharmacist. Relocate to the North as a pharmacist and earn circa £50,000/year from day one.

Good luck.
I can’t do that right now as I’m currently studying full time. I plan to do that when I graduate. Thank you
Lilian32
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sarah H.)
Hi Lilian,

There are no licence requirements to work in a pharmacy as an counter assistant or as a dispensing assistant. Good for you to experience community pharmacy first hand before progressing further. Pay not great though.

Could I suggest you concentrate on independent pharmacies rather than multiples? Generally better all round. Just walk in and ask mentioning your previous experience. If no vacancies at least take opportunity to have a chat with pharmacist for their opinions.

Good luck.

Edit: Independent pharmacies far more likely to offer “informal” employment especially to someone with your qualifications. Currently many are very short staffed due to holidays and covid isolations. You may be surprised at the welcome some will give you...... “Can you start tomorrow?”
Thank you very much. I’ll try to walk into as many as I can. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (362)
84.19%
No (68)
15.81%

Watched Threads