meowface21
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
this is a long story but ill shorten it as much as I can. Rejected from all 5 uni choices which were either Dentistry or dental hygiene/therapy. applied yucas extra twice for dental hygiene/therapy but rejected. applied to optometry at Cardiff and got a conditional offer but I don't even want to do optometry I know nothing about it. I've spent time getting to know dentistry by work experience, talking to dentists, reading etc.ive done a levels in biology, chemistry and RS, what courses can I choose? engineering looks fun but I haven't done maths or physics and its heavily based on those two subjects. I could apple to dental therapy/hygiene via clearing but there aren't many choices and I don't feel like going to Cardiff anymore because it isn't a major city. I sound dumb but its almost 1am and im up stressing for my future, I can't think straight.. sigh, when did I have to grow up so much all of a sudden
Ketchup007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by meowface21)
this is a long story but ill shorten it as much as I can. Rejected from all 5 uni choices which were either Dentistry or dental hygiene/therapy. applied yucas extra twice for dental hygiene/therapy but rejected. applied to optometry at Cardiff and got a conditional offer but I don't even want to do optometry I know nothing about it. I've spent time getting to know dentistry by work experience, talking to dentists, reading etc.ive done a levels in biology, chemistry and RS, what courses can I choose? engineering looks fun but I haven't done maths or physics and its heavily based on those two subjects. I could apple to dental therapy/hygiene via clearing but there aren't many choices and I don't feel like going to Cardiff anymore because it isn't a major city. I sound dumb but its almost 1am and im up stressing for my future, I can't think straight.. sigh, when did I have to grow up so much all of a sudden
Cardiff you should consider mate if that's the option it will be worth it after if that's the only option. Any chance you can do foundation year? What are your A level grades or predicted? Engineering u cud do foundation year (that's basically A level physics and maths) if that entices you. I get you I'm over thinking as well growing up is bloody hard right. From what you said Dentistry is your dream maybe speak to the dentists? Maybe they could give u a gd reference? I hope any of this helped I don't think u should give up either. Get some sleep 😴then think in a few hours sorry your going through hell. Remember Russel brand unis are not everything buddy their are other unis out there. If I can help anymore please let me know
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Decline Cardiff - you dont want to do it and are just clutching at straws.
Spending all that money on a course you aren't interested in is just nuts.

Get a job in a care setting (doesnt have to be dentistry) and reapply - it takes many people 2 or 3 attempts to get a place, and if that is what you really, really want to do, then its worth it. Don't give up.
Kogomogo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Dentistry is a difficult one to get in to. I think it would be worth trying clearing on results day and failing that take a gap year and reapply again in the next cycle. Use that time to boost your application, get a job or some voluntary work perhaps in a hospital or care setting so you have that experiece of interacting with other staff and patients.

This is the career you'll likely be doing for 40-50 years, taking an extra year or two now to make sure it's the one you want is really no big deal, even a few years working in something relevant and then going for dentistry isn't the end of the world, at least you'll be happier with the direction of your life, knowing you are working towards your dream someday and still earning a wage.

You only get one lump of student finance so don't waste it or dentistry might be closed off to you forever. Don't rush into a career and subject you hate just because you feel you have to go to uni and be in a stereotypical 'repectable' job as soon as possible. It'll likely leave you miserable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads