going into year 11 - what to expect

Watch
belleann
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
there's loads of variation when it comes to advice for year 11 - some people say it's easy and not to overthink whereas others say you should start revising in september. obviously with covid things will vary a bit, but what should i generally expect?
CptGarrforest
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
just make your revision content early (that's what i'm doing currently) so that you don't to exhaust time over September etc
ScoMo2808
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Year 11 is really stressful! I did my GCSEs this year so it was the year with the different system but I didn’t want anything except 9s so I pushed myself really hard. I probably pushed myself too much but even still, if you want the best grades, your going to have to work extremely hard by giving up weekends for revision and doing extra hours of revision after homework time. Personally, I wouldn’t start proper revision until November but I would concentrate on building up a good set of notes from August- October and as you go along yr11.
Flk10
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ScoMo8082)
Year 11 is really stressful! I did my GCSEs this year so it was the year with the different system but I didn’t want anything except 9s so I pushed myself really hard. I probably pushed myself too much but even still, if you want the best grades, your going to have to work extremely hard by giving up weekends for revision and doing extra hours of revision after homework time. Personally, I wouldn’t start proper revision until November but I would concentrate on building up a good set of notes from August- October and as you go along yr11.
Congrats on working hard! Hopefully it pays off in your results.

How many hours work did you do on average on school nights and weekends?
ScoMo2808
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Flk10)
Congrats on working hard! Hopefully it pays off in your results.

How many hours work did you do on average on school nights and weekends?
Thank you much!!! The answer is too many- because much of my year 11 took place in lock down conditions or conditions which meant I couldn’t see my friends that easily, work was basically the only thing I could do so I spent my whole day doing it: so like 10 hours of work on Saturday, 10 on Sunday and right up until I went to bed on week days. I also had no days off from October to May 24th except Christmas Day. I cannot stress how much I would not recommend doing that: firstly it is physically unhealthy as I wasn’t getting necessary exercise requirements, but it’s also very negative for mental health. I also could’ve got to the sme academic level had I done about 1/3 of the work- so I would say do 3 hours a day on the weekend and 1-2 hours a day in the school week after school
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it is a stressful year as there's a lot of subjects to manage. tbh i wish i started revising from the beginning- it doesn't need to be intense hardcore revision just like half an hour of the subject a week is manageable and building the habit will likely become very useful when the time comes to start revising seriously for these exams. obviously remember not to over-work yourself; gcses aren't the end of the world and everyone's in the same boat as you. don't be afraid to ask for support if you're struggling.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
13.79%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
13.79%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (7)
12.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (23)
39.66%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
17.24%

Watched Threads