Access Course - Late Submissions

Watch
Nurse_Doll
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ll just cut to the chase!

My college has been a complete shambles over the past year so we’ve had deadlines moved back and forth. It’s August tomorrow and I’m yet to hand in all my work/take my final exam.

What does this mean?? Is it normal for students to be at college/submitting work late July/August ?? Is there still hope for me to start uni this September?! (2021)😩

I’m on an access to nursing course and hoping to study nursing at KCL in September!

Any help advice is appreciated!!
Independerella
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You get results in August and if your handing in your last peice of work, I highly doubt you will have results in time to start university in September. You're probably looking at January 22 start or September 22 if your course doesnt offer Jan start.
Nurse_Doll
Rep:
?
(Original post by Independerella)
You get results in August and if your handing in your last peice of work, I highly doubt you will have results in time to start university in September. You're probably looking at January 22 start or September 22 if your course doesnt offer Jan start.
I’ve spoken to my teachers and head of course specifically, she’s said to send her the work and she’ll work towards marking it ASAP. But you’re right, thanks!

Also another quick question, Kings was my first choice, if only. But I don’t think I’ll get the grades for it. Does it really matter where I studied at university if I’m studying nursing ?? I don’t want to go to a “bad” uni.
nutellaforlife
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nurse_Doll)
I’ll just cut to the chase!

My college has been a complete shambles over the past year so we’ve had deadlines moved back and forth. It’s August tomorrow and I’m yet to hand in all my work/take my final exam.

What does this mean?? Is it normal for students to be at college/submitting work late July/August ?? Is there still hope for me to start uni this September?! (2021)😩

I’m on an access to nursing course and hoping to study nursing at KCL in September!

Any help advice is appreciated!!
Is your course online or in person? ask the course manager about the dates. My course deadline was june 30th but they extended it for me to the 15th july to be able to get the results on the 10th of august. Btw kings college deadline to send in grades is the 24th of august. Kings is also my firm choice! Go and complain to your access course if it isnt done on time! If you do manage to get to kcl message me! would be nice to meet another mature student xx
JemimaJ24
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi

I am so sorry you are in this position - my first point of call would be finding out what went so wrong, we had dates moved on our access course (humanities) but not to the detriment of our university starting date..

Get as many people on your side who are willing to complain and make a complaint to the leaders, the college and the education department at your council because that’s shocking when we are paying for this if we don’t finish university!

I agree that’s there’s no way you could have this externally marked and get the results to your university placement in time for this September - our cut off date was June, we received preliminary grades in July and we had Assesor in 8/9th July and grades were being sent to Ucas last Friday from what I know.

I received my confirmation from my university last Thursday so I am guessing our grades went earlier than we were expecting - but no way would I put up with that, we all worked too hard whatever access course it was.

If you need any help with this let me know because I don’t like to see this happening and having been a student rep (I am a very mature in my 50’s student) I know how to complain but you can not let them get away with this, this is your life!
Nurse_Doll
Rep:
?
(Original post by nutellaforlife)
Is your course online or in person? ask the course manager about the dates. My course deadline was june 30th but they extended it for me to the 15th july to be able to get the results on the 10th of august. Btw kings college deadline to send in grades is the 24th of august. Kings is also my firm choice! Go and complain to your access course if it isnt done on time! If you do manage to get to kcl message me! would be nice to meet another mature student xx
Hey!!

Firstly, thanks soo much for responding to my post!! I have bee
extremely depressed because of all this.
My course started off in class until tier 4 happened in December and they made it online. But then restrictions eased and my main teacher asked all over zoom whether we would like to resume classroom learning or continue with online and the whole class said continue with online. I was the ONLY one who insisted on going back to classroom learning but sadly that never happened.

My head of course has kindly extended my deadline but she’s talking about December which is obviously too late. Throughout the course I’ve had ZERO feedback on my work and even when chasing up grades etc. It’s a mission in itself.

I want to complain to the examination board as well because this course costs £3000+ and if I’m not going to university at the end of it then I’ve wasted my time and money.
Nurse_Doll
Rep:
?
(Original post by JemimaJ24)
Hi

I am so sorry you are in this position - my first point of call would be finding out what went so wrong, we had dates moved on our access course (humanities) but not to the detriment of our university starting date..

Get as many people on your side who are willing to complain and make a complaint to the leaders, the college and the education department at your council because that’s shocking when we are paying for this if we don’t finish university!

I agree that’s there’s no way you could have this externally marked and get the results to your university placement in time for this September - our cut off date was June, we received preliminary grades in July and we had Assesor in 8/9th July and grades were being sent to Ucas last Friday from what I know.

I received my confirmation from my university last Thursday so I am guessing our grades went earlier than we were expecting - but no way would I put up with that, we all worked too hard whatever access course it was.

If you need any help with this let me know because I don’t like to see this happening and having been a student rep (I am a very mature in my 50’s student) I know how to complain but you can not let them get away with this, this is your life!
Hello!

Thanks for your concern and response! What went wrong was the college provided us with no feedback whatsoever, no chances of resubmission although promised..

Edit: One classmate of mine did try and get us all to complain but sadly the class is full of students who only care about themselves and never bothered so I think she gave up. I’m only in contact with one other student but she’s also a bit distant so it’s just me against my college.

There’s been no support from teachers or wellbeing etc. This is not how college was when I was 16.

You’re right, it’s my life/career at stake so I’m currently doing all my assignments and if I need to redo them all to get into Kings then I’m just fine with that! Provided they remark all my work before September because I will not waste another year.

What’s worse is the teachers were all well aware that Kcl is the only university I was set on, yet failed to ever let me know how I was doing on the course, even when I asked.

Please could you private message me? As I’d like to fight this! I must start Kcl in September. Thanks 😊
Last edited by Nurse_Doll; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.23%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.7%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.4%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.93%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.34%

Watched Threads