Can I talk about my mental issues in the personal statement?

Watch
electrica
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder last year and have been on medication, meanwhile seeing a therapist. It was during my sessions with my therapist that I learnt to reevaluate who I am and confirm my research interests (concerning self and identity in literature), so I think all these may play a big part in my personal statement for the postgraduate application. I wonder if it is appropriate and, more importantly, whether it will bring about any negative outcomes, such as discrimination or even rejection? Thanks.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You would be better off asking your referee to talk about anything related to your mental health. Depending on the postgrad PS, they will focus more or less on your research interests and you wouldn't necessarily have to talk about how you got interested in it, but why (not everyone who reevaluates themselves in therapy would be interested in looking at identity, for example)
electrica
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Interrobang)
You would be better off asking your referee to talk about anything related to your mental health. Depending on the postgrad PS, they will focus more or less on your research interests and you wouldn't necessarily have to talk about how you got interested in it, but why (not everyone who reevaluates themselves in therapy would be interested in looking at identity, for example)
Thanks! Your advice is of great help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's worrying you most about starting back at school/college this year?

The potential for Covid to keep disrupting things (110)
14.65%
My mental health (110)
14.65%
Feeling behind academically (142)
18.91%
Making friends/social anxiety (135)
17.98%
How to organise myself (25)
3.33%
How to revise/study effectively (89)
11.85%
Future career, uni, pathway planning and applications (125)
16.64%
Something else - let us know in the thread (15)
2%

Watched Threads