Imran Aadeez
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m not sure if I should go for law or something else, I’m also interested in political science or international relations so maybe I can become a professor for the latter..I’m really confused!
Keele Postgraduate
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Imran Aadeez)
I’m not sure if I should go for law or something else, I’m also interested in political science or international relations so maybe I can become a professor for the latter..I’m really confused!
Hi Imran Aadeez!

I can't advise which of those is the best option for you - all three offer great potential in terms of careers and lots of transferable skills.

My main piece of advice for picking a university degree programme is, however, to go for a course that interests and engages you. You're going to be studying this for three years and, whilst career goals and outcomes are important, ultimately you need to study something that will hold your interest for those three years to enable you to get the best degree possible - and that will be fun and enjoyable to study!

In terms of thinking about career outcomes, it's potentially worth thinking about what routes into careers that interest you are available. Whilst a law degree will give you the skills needed to enter into a career in the legal profession, for example, there are also post-graduate entry routes into law such as law conversion courses. So you wouldn't be shutting yourself off from a legal career by not doing a dedicated degree in law.

It's also worth considering whether you can take optional/elective modules in other subjects on your degree programme - or whether a joint honours degree might be the best route for you. At Keele, for example, most of our undergraduate programmes have the option to take some elective modules from outside of their academic schools - and we have a range of joint honours degree programmes such as our BA in Politics and International Relations or BA Law with Politics. So it doesn't have to be an either/or choice.

Amy Louise
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Imran Aadeez)
Hi Imran,

Think about your interests and passions and also where you see yourself in the future. Think about what your dream job/career is and then plan a path on how to get there. It's fine to not be sure on this right away, so take some time to do some research, read student case studies,explore course pages and attend online open days and speak to academics and current students to get their insight. Do you have a careers service available at your school/college? They might be able to help point you in the right direction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads