Brain Power?

Watch
LeeMills77
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi peeps,

Just a query really as I’m puzzled why our brains are the way they are.

Not sure what my IQ is but it’s probably between 100 and 120. So, not a genius but some brains to achieve some limited success.

My question is – why are some people absolute geniuses, with a verbal iq of 170 and can quickly grasp concepts and analytically pull apart concepts within minutes, while other people really cannot function at all; they can never understand concepts and have difficulty even following instructions. And yet, they have the same brain. What is that difference between their brains? Is there anything that can be done to boost their neural connections?

I ask because I would sacrifice a hell of a lot to boost my IQ by even 10-15 points. I understand games like Luminous don’t work, but I like to think the film Limitless could happen.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lee.
kaiana
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LeeMills77)
Hi peeps,

Just a query really as I’m puzzled why our brains are the way they are.

Not sure what my IQ is but it’s probably between 100 and 120. So, not a genius but some brains to achieve some limited success.

My question is – why are some people absolute geniuses, with a verbal iq of 170 and can quickly grasp concepts and analytically pull apart concepts within minutes, while other people really cannot function at all; they can never understand concepts and have difficulty even following instructions. And yet, they have the same brain. What is that difference between their brains? Is there anything that can be done to boost their neural connections?

I ask because I would sacrifice a hell of a lot to boost my IQ by even 10-15 points. I understand games like Luminous don’t work, but I like to think the film Limitless could happen.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lee.
Intelligence and its origin is a very vague concept. I had seen somewhere that a high intelligence was often correlated with a certain personality type, and the answer of "where does our personality come from" is quite complex and very debated, so I would assume that it's the same regarding intelligence. Some skills that are considered to contribute to intelligence can be improved when properly trained (such as memory, which training consists in improving some neural connections, and apparently there is a higher proportion of intelligent people among people who are fluent in several languages). Some parts of intelligence seem to just depend on the person, without the possibility of training to improve it, so it must be written somewhere in our DNA. Also, I believe that there were some correlation between intelligence and some mental illnesses (like ADHD), so it may mean that genetics play an important role in intelligence (more than education), but then again we have to be careful not to mistake correlation for causation.
The notion of "intelligence" combines lots of different aspects, so I think you would have to ask this question for each specific aspect if you really want a detailed answer...
kaiana
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also, why do you say "So, not a genius but some brains to achieve some limited success"? I don't think that success is correlated with IQ as much as people seem to think. Hard work is much more effective! (The "top of the class" kids are usually those who work hard, more than the "genius" kids. As a matter of fact, the "geniuses" can be the ones failing their classes!)

I honestly think that IQ is really overrated. Especially in the media, where people with high IQ are represented as geniuses who understand everything immediatly, without showing cases where high IQ people are huge failures. Truth is, many people with high (130+) and especially very-high (145+) IQs suffer from depression, and are unable to work and/or live properly, because of the constant overthinking notably. Sure, this is not the case for all high-IQ people, but "boosting your IQ" might not be as satisfying as you think! But you can work on your memory, do more logic tests and improve your general culture, and you would seem more intelligent!
Last edited by kaiana; 1 month ago
LeeMills77
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by kaiana)
Also, why do you say "So, not a genius but some brains to achieve some limited success"? I don't think that success is correlated with IQ as much as people seem to think. Hard work is much more effective! (The "top of the class" kids are usually those who work hard, more than the "genius" kids. As a matter of fact, the "geniuses" can be the ones failing their classes!)

I honestly think that IQ is really overrated. Especially in the media, where people with high IQ are represented as geniuses who understand everything immediatly, without showing cases where high IQ people are huge failures. Truth is, many people with high (130+) and especially very-high (145+) IQs suffer from depression, and are unable to work and/or live properly, because of the constant overthinking notably. Sure, this is not the case for all high-IQ people, but "boosting your IQ" might not be as satisfying as you think! But you can work on your memory, do more logic tests and improve your general culture, and you would seem more intelligent!
Yeah, some good input.

Thanks for the replies,

Lee.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads