Accepted Job Offer - Now Gets Declined??

Watch
markmm4226
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I have recently been offered a graduate job which I accepted. I was offered the job in writing via email, I replied back accepting the job in writing via email. So I have all the evidence that I was offered and it was accepted.

But now the company have changed their mind and have said they don’t currently have the funds to have me at the moment.

Does anyone have advice on the legality of this situation? Since I was given an offer which was then accepted, generally speaking that counts as a legally binding acceptance / contract?
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Give the below link a read and check your contract's terms and conditions.

https://www.acas.org.uk/if-your-job-offer-is-withdrawn
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by markmm4226)
So I have recently been offered a graduate job which I accepted. I was offered the job in writing via email, I replied back accepting the job in writing via email. So I have all the evidence that I was offered and it was accepted.

But now the company have changed their mind and have said they don’t currently have the funds to have me at the moment.

Does anyone have advice on the legality of this situation? Since I was given an offer which was then accepted, generally speaking that counts as a legally binding acceptance / contract?
Surely they should have realised they didn't have the funds to have you at the moment before they offered you the job. I'm not 100% on the legal side of it but either way it's extremely poor practice.
I'd deffo speak to ACAS. They will be able to advise and suggest how to take things further. The good thing is that you have evidence that they offered you the job and you accepted.

Don't let this company get away with this.
markmm4226
Rep:
?
Thanks guys, I’ll speak to ACAS and see what I can do next
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks guys, I’ll speak to ACAS and see what I can do next
For all they knew, you could have already left a previous job to go to them or anything (so been left without a job). Even if you had only handed your notice in at a previous job and were able to go back- you could claim that it has made things awkward for you there since (especially if they didn't know you were looking for jobs).
Last edited by Emma:-); 1 month ago
markmm4226
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
For all they knew, you could have already left a previous job to go to them or anything (so been left without a job). Even if you had only handed your notice in at a previous job and were able to go back- you could claim that it has made things awkward for you there since (especially if they didn't know you were looking for jobs).
Currently speaking I won’t have another job to go into / back to as getting this job essentially burnt bridges from the last. I’ve also had to spend a considerable amount of time jumping hoops to fulfil certain criteria for the role such as certifications and licenses so it’s a slap in the face to say the least!
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Currently speaking I won’t have another job to go into / back to as getting this job essentially burnt bridges from the last. I’ve also had to spend a considerable amount of time jumping hoops to fulfil certain criteria for the role such as certifications and licenses so it’s a slap in the face to say the least!
Although I'm no expert, it certainly seems like you have a good case with leaving your previous job (and being unable to go back). Surely you should be able to claim something from them. Plus all the jumping through hoops you did doesn't make them look good either.
Let me know how you get on.
Proxenus
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
this is my fear. imagine U relocate and sorted out accomodation to find out they can't take u on
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In theory they should pay you your notice period? Probably 1 week in probation period.
Asking for it would burn any bridges though for the future.
route255
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Proxenus)
this is my fear. imagine U relocate and sorted out accomodation to find out they can't take u on
Same here , I accepted an offer to a job that I have to move for, start date is still a month away. I feel like I need to email them every week to say I'm still moving!
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If the job offer was unconditional, i.e. all you had to do was turn up, then you can claim for breach of contract.

As with anything, never ever take legal advice from this or any other forum.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.53%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (12)
14.12%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
18.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.59%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.82%

Watched Threads