cyan008
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I'm a French student who is hoping to come to Sheffield for the year 2021-2022. I wanted to ask what were your experiences with private accomodations that aren't managed by the University, because with StarRez not working (I'm guessing this isn't the first time) and the Uni's accomodation being a bit expensive, I'm considering going to a private housing company if the rent is cheaper (but not too much because I'll know it's a scam lol).

Thank you in advance for your input and have a nice day!
iEndeavor
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
also a first year student coming in for the year 2021-2022, but i'd assume starrez isn't working for you either because you don't have an unconditional offer or because sheffield is your insurance choice?
cyan008
Rep:
?
I thought accommodation applications were open to students with conditional offers too but I must've misunderstood.
Yeah the Uni gave me a conditional offer, the condition being having an IELTS qualification. However, I already passed the international esol selt (C1) aaaand I'd rather not pay for an English qualification exam again. I sent them an email but no answer.
Last edited by cyan008; 1 month ago
iEndeavor
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cyan008)
I thought accommodation applications were open to students with conditional offers too but I must've misunderstood.
Yeah the Uni gave me a conditional offer, the condition being having an IELTS qualification. However, I already passed the international esol selt (C1) aaaand I'd rather not pay for an English qualification exam again. I sent them an email but no answer.
sorry to hear that! i believe applications were open to students with conditional offers but the applications closed a while ago- maybe you could join the university freshers groups and ask around there? alternatively, starrez works for me so i don't mind asking the customer support there for you-
cyan008
Rep:
?
<quote> sorry to hear that! i believe applications were open to students with conditional offers but the applications closed a while ago- maybe you could join the university freshers groups and ask around there? alternatively, starrez works for me so i don't mind asking the customer support there for you- </quote>
Don't worry, the Global Opportunities bureau answered me and I finally applied yesterday via StarRez, now I'm waiting for an answer!
Fingers crossed!
Thank you for offering your help ❤️
Last edited by cyan008; 1 month ago
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cyan008)
Hi,
I'm a French student who is hoping to come to Sheffield for the year 2021-2022. I wanted to ask what were your experiences with private accomodations that aren't managed by the University, because with StarRez not working (I'm guessing this isn't the first time) and the Uni's accomodation being a bit expensive, I'm considering going to a private housing company if the rent is cheaper (but not too much because I'll know it's a scam lol).

Thank you in advance for your input and have a nice day!
Hi!

Hope you are well! I'm a current student at the Uni of Sheffield so thought I would pop in and try help! StarRez may not be working at the moment in preparation for results day (Tuesday 10th August) when our clearing lines open and the University accommodation portal is due to open at 12pm noon, so this may explain your difficulities accessing the accommodation portal. I would try again on Tuesday, although the site may be very busy, if no sucess you can contact our accommodation office either by email or phone, this information is linked here. I would definitely recommend student halls for first year, it definitely is more expensive than some private halls but it is worth it. You get to meet so many freshers in halls and it is a much more social environment for getting to know people when you first move to uni, as you have mentioned you are an international student also so being in student halls may be especially helpful for you! I chose to go into private rented houses for 2nd and 3rd year but I am so glad I spent the extra on halls in first year as I wouldn't have met the friends I did otherwise! Most students stay in halls for first year and then move into private accommodation (houses/apartments) with friends they have made from 1st year.

Hope this helps you out a bit, feel free to ask anymore questions!

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
cyan008
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Sheffield Students)
Hi!

Hope you are well! I'm a current student at the Uni of Sheffield so thought I would pop in and try help! StarRez may not be working at the moment in preparation for results day (Tuesday 10th August) when our clearing lines open and the University accommodation portal is due to open at 12pm noon, so this may explain your difficulities accessing the accommodation portal. I would try again on Tuesday, although the site may be very busy, if no sucess you can contact our accommodation office either by email or phone, this information is linked here. I would definitely recommend student halls for first year, it definitely is more expensive than some private halls but it is worth it. You get to meet so many freshers in halls and it is a much more social environment for getting to know people when you first move to uni, as you have mentioned you are an international student also so being in student halls may be especially helpful for you! I chose to go into private rented houses for 2nd and 3rd year but I am so glad I spent the extra on halls in first year as I wouldn't have met the friends I did otherwise! Most students stay in halls for first year and then move into private accommodation (houses/apartments) with friends they have made from 1st year.

Hope this helps you out a bit, feel free to ask anymore questions!

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Thank you, I already applied a few days ago, now I'm waiting for the Uni's response. I will definitely keep this reply in mind though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads