One thing you wished you did/knew before starting A levels?

Watch
Aimee9675
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Dear Current and Former Sixth formers, what's one thing you wished you did/knew before you started your A levels?

I'm about to start A levels in Maths, French, AS Further Maths and Economics and wouldn't mind any advice! XD
agnos987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
-start revising from the beginning/as you go along the year
-pick subjects that you enjoy, not because they seem like good subjects (I regret picking biology and it costed my grade)
username5737602
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Started doing things that I can add to my personal statement
TheKira
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sign up for leadership opportunities at the start of the year (like head boy/girl, headteacher ambassador, student council)
Do university outreach programmes
Make friends in the same class as you
Take advantage of study periods you have, get all your homework done at school and revision at home
how deep my
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
😭💀😂😂lmaooooo

Please study every single day and make notes on time, use all past papers. Never procrastinate. Don't listen to music while studying (rap music is ok but no pop or electronic, that will distract you)
SB1234567890
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wish I'd participated more and asked lots of questions from the beginning as I only got the confidence to do this in year 13
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do what subjects you want to do and will enjoy. Don't be swayed by what your parents suggest
Also maths is really hard.
SB1234567890
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
Do what subjects you want to do and will enjoy. Don't be swayed by what your parents suggest
Also maths is really hard.
And ignore the idea of facilitating or soft subjects as high grades in soft subjects will look more impressive than average grades in what is thought of a facilitating subjects
Last edited by SB1234567890; 1 month ago
Ndexter456
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aimee9675)
Dear Current and Former Sixth formers, what's one thing you wished you did/knew before you started your A levels?

I'm about to start A levels in Maths, French, AS Further Maths and Economics and wouldn't mind any advice! XD
Economics is actually fun, people don’t really like it but a really good youtuber to watch is ‘Pajholden’ unbelievable teacher and has videos on everything for year 1 and helped me get an A!
SeikoShinohara
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would definitely make sure that you have a good diet and a good outlet for letting off steam. A-Levels are a really stressful time and peak productivity stems not just from a worked mind but also a worked body! (:
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SB1234567890)
And ignore the idea of facilitating or soft subjects as high grades in soft subjects will look more impressive than average grades in what is thought of a facilitating subjects
I agree.
Subjects like maths, English lit etc are good and all that.
But there's also nothing wrong with subjects such as sociology, law, business studies etc.
CurryCurry2468
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aimee9675)

Getting organised from the start tbh, doing homework during study periods instead of just chilling cuz it meant all the homework would pile up at home during the evening for me to do.
chinjyanson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I might be careful with AS further maths. Although the content isn't that big of a jump like maths to add maths in IGCSE, but the questions are really tricky sometimes. If you're confident in all your subjects, you should do fine though. AS is something you will live through. A2 is where the hard stuff comes in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.63%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.86%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
18.07%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.06%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (66)
26.51%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.88%

Watched Threads