Securing TC with 2:2 + 1 extra year of GDL

Watch
yhdoggo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've only read so many posts on TSR and it is my first time actually posting something, so if I have foolishly posted this on a wrong forum/thread, please forgive me.

Before I start asking my question, below is a bit more about me:- Academic -
  1. 2:2 from University of Manchester 2015 graduated
  2. Did 1 year of GDL at BPP University but decided to do another GDL year at ULaw (starting this upcoming September)

-General background-
  1. I am an international student
-Work experience-
  1. Worked at a small law office for 1 year outside the UK
  2. Did 21months of military service outside the UK
    (Worked as an army interpreter translating military documents and assisting military relevant
    researches)
  3. Worked at a National Assembly (for the government) for 2 years

-Extra-
  1. About 3 volunteering works
  2. Received a medal from the government in 2020 (relevant to my participation in carrying out national defence relevant projects)
  3. Received 2 citations from military
  4. Received an award from Seoul mayor in 2020 for my volunteering work

-Question-
  1. I understand that 2:1 is about very minimum for your application to not be "binned" by all
    the city law firms and given how I am retaking GDL does not improve my circumstances any better.
    Would I still have any chance of securing a TC with those overall backgrounds? Taking all the details
    mentioned above into consideration?
  2. If I am not mistaken, those who completed LPC will be exempted from having to take SQE 1 and
    instead will be able to just take SQE 2 along with 2 years of QWE to be qaulified.
In any event of failing to secure a TC anytime during GDL and/or LPC, would this route be adivsable?
any thoughts?Thank you for reading!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by yhdoggo)
I've only read so many posts on TSR and it is my first time actually posting something, so if I have foolishly posted this on a wrong forum/thread, please forgive me.

Before I start asking my question, below is a bit more about me:- Academic -
  1. 2:2 from University of Manchester 2015 graduated
  2. Did 1 year of GDL at BPP University but decided to do another GDL year at ULaw (starting this upcoming September)

-General background-
  1. I am an international student
-Work experience-
  1. Worked at a small law office for 1 year outside the UK
  2. Did 21months of military service outside the UK
    (Worked as an army interpreter translating military documents and assisting military relevant
    researches)
  3. Worked at a National Assembly (for the government) for 2 years

-Extra-
  1. About 3 volunteering works
  2. Received a medal from the government in 2020 (relevant to my participation in carrying out national defence relevant projects)
  3. Received 2 citations from military
  4. Received an award from Seoul mayor in 2020 for my volunteering work

-Question-
  1. I understand that 2:1 is about very minimum for your application to not be "binned" by all
    the city law firms and given how I am retaking GDL does not improve my circumstances any better.
    Would I still have any chance of securing a TC with those overall backgrounds? Taking all the details
    mentioned above into consideration?
  2. If I am not mistaken, those who completed LPC will be exempted from having to take SQE 1 and
    instead will be able to just take SQE 2 along with 2 years of QWE to be qaulified.
In any event of failing to secure a TC anytime during GDL and/or LPC, would this route be adivsable?
any thoughts?Thank you for reading!
Not great. How far off a 2i was the undergraduate result? And why are you retaking the GDL - is this due to academic failure?
yhdoggo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi thanks for your reply! I was 1% off from getting 2:1. As for retaking GDL, I can still take the resits but felt that, with still lacking academic support etc from BPP university, along with the fact that my maximum mark will be capped at 50% made me want to retake GDL. Will retaking GDL have a significant impact?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.47%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (36)
14.94%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.84%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.5%

Watched Threads