coolschmool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As you can probably tell from the title, I'm going to be studying English lit A-Level next year. However, I've heard that they expect you to start writing lots of essays really early on in the course and I currently only know how to do PEA paragraphs oops. I'd really appreciate any advice on structuring an essay, writing introductions/conclusions, general analysis tips etc. The exam board is Edexcel btw
Last edited by coolschmool; 1 month ago
Mahima_2104
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
this is quite difficult for me to answer as we did not receive as much help on structuring our essays however i can say the gcse pea or pee paragraphs are too simple and you have to make it flow better, including context and other aspects is also something which should become normal in your paragraphs etc. im sorry i couldnt help more
coolschmool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Mahima_2104)
this is quite difficult for me to answer as we did not receive as much help on structuring our essays however i can say the gcse pea or pee paragraphs are too simple and you have to make it flow better, including context and other aspects is also something which should become normal in your paragraphs etc. im sorry i couldnt help more
Thanks for replying, and don't worry about it! At GCSE my teachers just told me to make it 'sound nice' so you've already been more helpful than them tbh. Just one more thing- at A-Level, do you have to add in criticisms from other people?
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
did aqa but there's a greater level of sophistication and exploration expected in your a level essays- generally you're not advised to follow a rigorous structure especially at a level but may be given a 'list' of expectations or things that examiners are looking for in your essay. you'll get better at the essay writing naturally throughout the year the more you do them (so yes, i recommend you do lots of practice essays). they seem to really like introductions and conclusions at a level because if done well, they ensure the essay remains focused on the question throughout and add structural integrity to it.
i wish i read some of my texts before september as i think it'd have reduced the stress of me trying to understand the texts for the first time but it's not the end of the world if you don't. good luck
ashtolga23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd say one thing that really helps style is fluent linking between points and paragraphs. If you can link them all then it sounds more coherent and your writing will flow in a more sophisticated manner.

Before you write, spend a couple of minutes bullet pointing each of your main points (should be about 3 in total in my opinion) and then have a quick think about how you'll go from one to another. You may want to switch the order up a bit as you realise how it will all flesh out in order to be as fluent as possible.
Mahima_2104
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by coolschmool)
Thanks for replying, and don't worry about it! At GCSE my teachers just told me to make it 'sound nice' so you've already been more helpful than them tbh. Just one more thing- at A-Level, do you have to add in criticisms from other people?
yes definitely, i really struggled with that because i didnt even know what critics are before that, but your supposed to include them and talk about what extent you agree with them, you would tend to get them from articles or some widely known lit authors etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.61%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.25%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
19.28%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.84%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.94%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (15)
18.07%

Watched Threads