Turn on thread page Beta

C3 - Linear Interpolation/Decimal Search Help watch

ReputationRep:
    I really cannot understand the method used to use linear interpolation, my teacher is a waste.

---

q) Show that a root exists x=a of the equation x^3-6x+3=0 such that 2 < a < 3. Use decimal search to find an interval of width of width 0.001 in which this root lies.

---

I've subbed in 2 and 3 into the function, to get the root is between (2,-1) and (3,12)

after that I'm pretty clueless on how to do this with linear interpolation as i don't really know the method.. if anyone could tell me what it is, much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    anyone :confused:

ReputationRep:
    What exam board are you on?? I'm with AQA and this is on FP1 for us.

Anyway, yeah sub 2 and 3 in to get 2 values. If the sign changes then there's a root between those two values. Then what we normally do is find the middle value and sub that in, to find a closer 2 values the root is between, then keep on going. But we normally stop at 0.25 interval width.. I don't really know how to do it with a 0.001 width :\

ReputationRep:
    Linear Interpolation is the method that involves two similar triangles. Sketch a diagram.

ReputationRep:
    Ah.. its OCR and my teacher went through some stuff with fractions and things, not just set intervals. Ah I dunno. - I mean if this was iteration then it'd be fine.. but this method takes the mick.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, Sorry I was getting muggled up, sorry.
    find the x and y co-ords. then find the gradient. form the equation of the straight line that connects the 2 points of the curve together. That gives you a root that's close to the root of the curve. Remember to set y=o to find the x value of the root of the straight line. Interval width 0.001 will simply mean to 3 decimal places.

That's what I have in my further maths notes for it anyway. I dunno what that guy was on about triangles...

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.