Bingsuze
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hey!
I’m taking a gap year this year and going to uni to study chemistry ( 2022). Does anyone have any advice on studying chemistry at uni and useful websites with practice questions for university topics? ( practice questions saved me at a level )
Also, I wanna read more during my gap year- does anyone recommend any books/ any books that’ll help towards chemistry?
Thanks guys <3
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
Uni is very different to A levels and you don’t get mark schemes. The closest thing will be past papers that a lecturer will use for workshops and revision sessions and go through some of the answers but it’s not as precise as A level where it specifies in great detail exactly what you get each mark for. I would recommend buying the huge organic chemistry book by Clayden (I assume there’ll be newer editions than the one I have from my uni days) which is thicker than a bible and just working your way through that. It’ll give you a good organic foundation before starting uni. Not sure if there are equivalents for inorganic and physical, there must be, but I was always an organic chemist so this one is the one I invested in.

Name:  9DF98D6F-3560-440B-8239-2C875BC51F8D.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  134.7 KB
Last edited by Plantagenet Crown; 9 months ago
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Bingsuze)
Hey!
I’m taking a gap year this year and going to uni to study chemistry ( 2022). Does anyone have any advice on studying chemistry at uni and useful websites with practice questions for university topics? ( practice questions saved me at a level )
Also, I wanna read more during my gap year- does anyone recommend any books/ any books that’ll help towards chemistry?
Thanks guys <3
Hi there,

I would 110% recommend Khan Academy! I learn best audiovisually, so videos are a good way for me to study. Khan Academy has videos for LOADS of subjects and a range of levels - I used it at GCSE and A-Level but I still use it now at university, as they have lots of more advanced content. They also put quizzes and questions so you can practice, if this is something you're interested in.

In terms of practice questions for university, I can't really suggest anything. The jump from A-Level to university level chemistry is huge - most chemistry courses, including mine, will started by recapping some advanced A-Level content and adding in a bit of university-level detail. This is to help ease you into the content as it is quite a big jump. I would say your best bet is to make sure you have a really solid understanding on the A-Level content so it's fresh in your mind for when you come to university. A good book to get a taste of university content is Chemistry3 ("3" as in "cubed"), as this covers inorganic, organic and physical chemistry. Most universities use this textbook so it's a good one to help introduce you to the content.

I hope this helps
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (19)
19%
The paper was reasonable (34)
34%
Not feeling great about that exam... (33)
33%
It was TERRIBLE (14)
14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed