How to choose a degree and something im passionate about when i feel directionless

Watch
Jesswaters2003
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I spent a few months now trying to truly focus on picking a university degree, a university and a future career path for applying in September. Ive gone to the careers adviser in my school, watched as much as i can on youtube and to find inspiration online and looked overall at all the degrees provided in universities i find interesting but im still feeling a little lost.
I take english literature, geography and psychology at a level, and am interested in potentially furthering psychology (although im worried i dont know if this would lead to a career that id be interested in) or geogaphy in a global health or climate change side. And quiet randomelly wishing i took biology (so a potential foundation year but this sounds risky) any help would be greatly appreciated
Cloudsandstars
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don’t feel the pressure to go to uni right away. It’s important you make the right choice as it could be costly if you change your mind. Take a gap year and get some experiences in these fields and then you will have a better idea of what to go for! I’m a psychology graduate, it’s a very competitive field. I wouldn’t encourage anyone to peruse it if they didn’t really want a career in it
University of Kent Reps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jesswaters2003)
I spent a few months now trying to truly focus on picking a university degree, a university and a future career path for applying in September. Ive gone to the careers adviser in my school, watched as much as i can on youtube and to find inspiration online and looked overall at all the degrees provided in universities i find interesting but im still feeling a little lost.
I take english literature, geography and psychology at a level, and am interested in potentially furthering psychology (although im worried i dont know if this would lead to a career that id be interested in) or geogaphy in a global health or climate change side. And quiet randomelly wishing i took biology (so a potential foundation year but this sounds risky) any help would be greatly appreciated
Hey Jesswaters2003!

Picking a University and a course are big decisions, so you're not alone. I was in a similar position when I applied for my undergraduate degree, I was coming out of sixth form with no clue where to go or what to study. The biggest things that helped me decide were three factors:

What do I want to do as a career?
What are my interests?
What kind of University experience do I want?

At the end of sixth form, I didn't have much of an idea what I wanted to do career-wise. So that made me decide I want a degree which leaves many doors open. Fortunately, many jobs will just ask for any ol' degree, except specific STEM careers, so I wanted something which would teach me a lot of skill for any job.
My interests were varied. I loved Sociology but I also loved English - so I needed to find something which could combine the too. I was also fond of Statistics, so I wanted to squeeze that in there somehow - and I also like Media too and needed that to fit in.
Finally, I knew I wanted an amazing University experience. I loved the idea of a bustling city, but I also wanted the gentle and calm countryside that would remind me of my home town. I wanted to be able to live on campus with everything accessible, but then also be able to spend one day in the city exploring, and then another on a long walk in fields.

Ultimately, I decided on the University of Kent. I chose the course Cultural Studies, and Media with Journalism - it combined my love of Sociology, English and Media. Of course I did not forget my love for statistics too, and I looked through the module handbook and I saw modules in quantitative and qualitative statistics - and they even have a choice to do an additional year at the end of your degree in things like statistics, computing and journalism in there Year In programme. The University was perfectly located in the beautiful city of Canterbury, with many clubs and bars on campus and in the city - yet also located within walking distance to acres and acres of fields to explore. The University of Kent has TEF Gold for teaching excellence, and are in the Top 10 in for research intensity in the UK from the REF.
My course opened so many opportunities, and after many events, meetings and career discussions I decided I wanted to go into Marketing, and now that's what I'm studying at Kent as my masters.
Personally, I love this University with all my heart, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. If it's Psychology you enjoy, then have a look at the wide variety of courses they offer: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate

If you need any more information on the courses, or have anything else to ask - don't hesitate!

- Nathan
UKC Rep
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just take a planned year out and think about things.
No-where does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school.
Nobody2u
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you thought of seeking help from a professional careers adviser? They ask you to complete a wide variety of tests that identify your strengths and weaknesses, your centers of interest, and then compile a list of courses and careers they think could suit you. They often come up with things that make you wonder " why didn't I think of that?". A private careers consultant/ adviser does require a certain budget but it's a lot less expensive than choosing a course that doesn't suit you and which you abandon after the first year.
Last edited by Nobody2u; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
6.98%
I need help researching courses (3)
6.98%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
6.98%
I need help with my personal statement (20)
46.51%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (10)
23.26%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.33%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
6.98%

Watched Threads