How long should it take me to do assignments

Watch
Adam Paterson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm just wondering how long it should take me to do assignments because last year I had 6 assignments in each semester but it took about 4 to 5 months to get them all done including some extensions I received. I'm extremely slow and I don't work at university and I live at home and it was online too because of the Covid pandemic. Any tips? How long does it take most of you to do your assignments?
SwanseaStudent98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Totally different for everyone I'm afraid. I take a lot of time on planning which might involve interviews, discussions etc. this can take me 3 months. Having said that, there are some people I've met who seem to be able to pull a few all-nighters and bash out a cohesive assignment.
I would say it's different depending on the person, the course and level of detail and prep needed. Maybe speak to your tutor and ask what they would expect?
Adam Paterson
Rep:
?
(Original post by SwanseaStudent98)
Totally different for everyone I'm afraid. I take a lot of time on planning which might involve interviews, discussions etc. this can take me 3 months. Having said that, there are some people I've met who seem to be able to pull a few all-nighters and bash out a cohesive assignment.
I would say it's different depending on the person, the course and level of detail and prep needed. Maybe speak to your tutor and ask what they would expect?
Thank you for your advice and that makes sense.
Satori Tendō
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did my dissertation in 3 weeks, other assignments usually 3-5 days, luckily I managed to consistently get above 70% so like the above comment says everyone is vastly different.
I like writing in general and have done so for years and years so I'm good at generating an essay without much effort. (I can say this one good thing about myself knowing I'm bad at most things)
For some reason, I even never minded proof reading and modifying people's personal statements in exchange for nothing like a little wet dog. Never doing that again o.O

P.S - If you have an essay support tutor or some service at your University, defo use it if you can. Structure is so important in essays, content and technique come second to that. If you have a good structure it really helps.
Last edited by Satori Tendō; 1 month ago
Adam Paterson
Rep:
?
Yes that's amazing time. May I ask do you gather your references first and then write about them so you can see the structure and how do you find your references because that's the part that slows me down?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I recently wrote up a 1500 word essay in less than 48 hours. I complete my assignments well within the timeframe I’m given.
Adam Paterson
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I recently wrote up a 1500 word essay in less than 48 hours. I complete my assignments well within the timeframe I’m given.
Wow that's amazing how do you manage that?
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thinking about our exams, I had to write 2500-4400 words in 24 hour periods. So writing the content isn’t the issue. Plans and then research is the key and do most of it as early as possible. Writing 2000 fairly relevant words is my first goal and then I can improve it. The final probably looks not much like the initial essay..
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Adam Paterson)
Wow that's amazing how do you manage that?
I personally don’t like having assignments stack up, it feels like a very heavy and metaphorical burden is weighing on my shoulders so I kind of force myself to get cracking. That’s not very helpful though, apologies.
Adam Paterson
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I personally don’t like having assignments stack up, it feels like a very heavy and metaphorical burden is weighing on my shoulders so I kind of force myself to get cracking. That’s not very helpful though, apologies.
I see, well done to you.
Adam Paterson
Rep:
?
(Original post by Catherine1973)
Thinking about our exams, I had to write 2500-4400 words in 24 hour periods. So writing the content isn’t the issue. Plans and then research is the key and do most of it as early as possible. Writing 2000 fairly relevant words is my first goal and then I can improve it. The final probably looks not much like the initial essay..
Yes that's where I struggled.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
8-9 hours with a comfortable 2:1 average.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads