The Student Room Group

How to Quit McDonalds?

So i started working at mcdonalds 3 weeks ago but had to self isolate after my first week because i got Covid. Therefore it is now only my second week of actually working there and i absolutely hate it. I live far away from the McDonalds and my mangers know that yet they give me Sunday shifts when the buses to my house don’t run on sundays (I have to take 2 buses to get to work). My mental health has worsened again ever since I started working there and I want to quit but have no idea how to actually quit working there. I was thinking of working for 2 more weeks then giving in my 2 week notice before school starts again but i don’t know what to say to my manger when i give in the 2 week notice.
(edited 2 years ago)
I’d be surprised if you even needed a 2 week notice.

Your notice is likely immediate or a week at max.

Write a letter, or email if it makes you feel better.

You can also just speak to your manager. McDonald’s is a high turnover employer so he/she will have experience with this.
Original post by username5811680
So i started working at mcdonalds 3 weeks ago but had to self isolate after my first week because i got Covid. Therefore it is now only my second week of actually working there and i absolutely hate it. I live far away from the McDonalds and my mangers know that yet they give me Sunday shifts when the buses to my house don’t run on sundays (I have to take 2 buses to get to work). My mental health has worsened again ever since I started working there and I want to quit but have no idea how to actually quit working there. I was thinking of working for 2 more weeks then giving in my 2 week notice before school starts again but i don’t know what to say to my manger when i give in the 2 week notice.

At McDonald's the notice period is 2 weeks. You can give them a letter or email them. Just say that you are giving in your notice, you are giving 2 weeks notice and your last shift is X date.
Original post by Whatisizekiah
I’d be surprised if you even needed a 2 week notice.

Your notice is likely immediate or a week at max.

Write a letter, or email if it makes you feel better.

You can also just speak to your manager. McDonald’s is a high turnover employer so he/she will have experience with this.

I think you will find you do need to give notice. It's 2 weeks.
Original post by Emma:-)
I think you will find you do need to give notice. It's 2 weeks.

Seriously doubt that! She’s only been working there 3 weeks! A notice almost the same length as employment!
Seriously doubt that! She’s only been working there 3 weeks! A notice almost the same length as employment!

The OP may have only worked there for 3 weeks. But the notice period is still 2 weeks. The OP will have been put down for shifts over the next 1-2 weeks, which will need covering.
I worked there for 9 years. I know.
The OP may have only worked there for 3 weeks. But the notice period is still 2 weeks. The OP will have been put down for shifts over the next 1-2 weeks, which will need covering.
I worked there for 9 years. I know.

Maybe your information is old or your restaurant was franchised but I haven’t notice in after 2 weeks and there was no one week.
Maybe your information is old or your restaurant was franchised but I haven’t notice in after 2 weeks and there was no one week.

I may have left- but I have friends who still work there. And yes it's still 2 weeks.
I may have left- but I have friends who still work there. And yes it's still 2 weeks.

I’m not trying to argue with you. It’s a silly thing to argue over.

All I’m saying is that for the vast majority of jobs if you have worked there for
4 weeks or less you can give notice to immediate effect. I am also saying that I recently as in in the last month, quit after 2 weeks and did not
Need a notice.

Clearly it varies!
I’m not trying to argue with you. It’s a silly thing to argue over.

All I’m saying is that for the vast majority of jobs if you have worked there for
4 weeks or less you can give notice to immediate effect. I am also saying that I recently as in in the last month, quit after 2 weeks and did not
Need a notice.

Clearly it varies!

I'm not wanting to argue.
Other places of work have different rules regarding notice. I'm not doubting that.
I'm just saying that that's the rules with McDonald's. And I know from experience.
Hi I’m literally in the exact same position as you right now and i feel bad for quitting because I’ve been there for such a short period of time but it’s also not worth the amount of stress. I’m gonna speak to my manager next shift and tell him I want to leave and then see what he says to that. So I hope whatever you choose to do works out xx

Quick Reply

Latest