lovelylimeee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Currently in Year 11 and confused between A level FM and History for my fourth option. My first three options are Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I was thinking of Computer Science later on which is why I chose A level FM as my fourth but I’m not completely sure about my future choices and not that excited about A level FM. I’m predicted a 9 in GCSE maths for context. However I also enjoyed history (mostly not always) during GCSEs and have been told that it’s better to have at least one essay based subject to keep options open. Should I stick to Further Maths as I have applied with that to most colleges or change it to History instead. The only reason I can see myself using history is if I go into Law though nothing else. I do plan on dropping the fourth at the end of year 12 btw. Any advice would be helpful!
heccyeah
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd say either do FM as a fourth, or just do 3 tbh
econhelp525
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Further Maths is like an extension of maths - it's just more maths. So it would make sense to do that. Doing History A-Level would greatly increase your workload because then all the subjects you'd be doing would be distinct, so you may find it harder.
hannychica
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by econhelp525)
Further Maths is like an extension of maths - it's just more maths. So it would make sense to do that. Doing History A-Level would greatly increase your workload because then all the subjects you'd be doing would be distinct, so you may find it harder.
This, and the fact that A Level History in itself is not for the faint hearted.
lovelylimeee
Rep:
?
Righttt that makes a lot of sense. It’s just I keep doubting myself if I’d be able to do well in Further Maths and I’ve always enjoyed History. I’ve also been on and off about taking law in the future which is why i guess I’m considering it? I plan on dropping the fourth anyway and I can always switch in the first few weeks I guess. Thank youu btwww
lovelylimeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by heccyeah)
I'd say either do FM as a fourth, or just do 3 tbh
Thank youu. Honestly three seems like a good option but both the colleges I’ve applied to require you to take four in the first year :/
econhelp525
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lovelylimeee)
Righttt that makes a lot of sense. It’s just I keep doubting myself if I’d be able to do well in Further Maths and I’ve always enjoyed History. I’ve also been on and off about taking law in the future which is why i guess I’m considering it? I plan on dropping the fourth anyway and I can always switch in the first few weeks I guess. Thank youu btwww
Law doesn't have specific subject requirements, usually you just need A*AA-AAA. Someone in my school did law with Maths A-Level.

But if you are wanting to keep your options open to law, maybe drop one of biology or chemistry? And replace it with history? After all, if you're looking to do medicine as an option, for quite a few universities, only chemistry is mandatory.
lovelylimeee
Rep:
?
Law doesn't have specific subject requirements, usually you just need A*AA-AAA. Someone in my school did law with Maths A-Level.

But if you are wanting to keep your options open to law, maybe drop one of biology or chemistry? And replace it with history? After all, if you're looking to do medicine as an option, for quite a few universities, only chemistry is mandatory.
I’ve heard that too that some people have gotten into law with just science and maths A levels but an essay based subject definitely gives an edge. I always preferred sciences at GCSE so I think that’s why I’m keeping bio and chem and to also keep my options open in the STEM field. I could drop biology but I feel like it’ll be too risky? History is okay but I’ve realised over the past few days that I really don’t want to study it. So now I’m thinking of politics instead of further maths 😐. I’ve done gcse citizenship and my teacher said how politics a level is really similar to it? Not sure anymore I really hate being indecisive.
econhelp525
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lovelylimeee)
I’ve heard that too that some people have gotten into law with just science and maths A levels but an essay based subject definitely gives an edge. I always preferred sciences at GCSE so I think that’s why I’m keeping bio and chem and to also keep my options open in the STEM field. I could drop biology but I feel like it’ll be too risky? History is okay but I’ve realised over the past few days that I really don’t want to study it. So now I’m thinking of politics instead of further maths 😐. I’ve done gcse citizenship and my teacher said how politics a level is really similar to it? Not sure anymore I really hate being indecisive.
Biology has an essay question within the paper.

Politics may be a good choice, but, then you'd be doing 4 different non-complementary A-Levels. You should only do 3 A-Levels, you do not need 4.
lovelylimeee
Rep:
?
Biology has an essay question within the paper.

Politics may be a good choice, but, then you'd be doing 4 different non-complementary A-Levels. You should only do 3 A-Levels, you do not need 4.
Thank youu again!! I think I’ll just stick with my option of bio, chem, maths and further maths and drop FM in year 12 since the colleges I’ve applied to require you to take 4 for the first year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.56%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
19.44%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.33%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (12)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.22%

Watched Threads