How do I stop my dad from smoking near my cats?

Watch
OarlessBoating
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So for context, my family is raising a stray cat and a kitten in our backyard who came looking for food. They've become pretty accustomed to us now, but we keep them in the backyard because we have a dog in our house.

The only issue is, my dad is a smoker and goes outside in the backyard to smoke frequently. The cats are also there. I've told him numerous times to consider the cats, but it's hard to convince him as he just thinks I'm annoying him and doesn't consider the gravity of the situation.

What should I do? I don't think it's very effective to just tell him to not smoke near the cats because they'll get health issues. But I'm not sure what else I can do.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OarlessBoating)
So for context, my family is raising a stray cat and a kitten in our backyard who came looking for food. They've become pretty accustomed to us now, but we keep them in the backyard because we have a dog in our house.

The only issue is, my dad is a smoker and goes outside in the backyard to smoke frequently. The cats are also there. I've told him numerous times to consider the cats, but it's hard to convince him as he just thinks I'm annoying him and doesn't consider the gravity of the situation.

What should I do? I don't think it's very effective to just tell him to not smoke near the cats because they'll get health issues. But I'm not sure what else I can do.
It's his house - he makes the rules good or bad. Try talking to your cats and advise them not to hang about in the backyard.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I think you are worrying too much about these cats, they can walk away from the smoke if they don't like it assuming they are free to come and go (which they should be).
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

He's smoking outside in his house not pouring petrol over them.. lighten up, it might not be entirely healthy for the critters to be near smoke but its hardly going to cause them any meaningful harm either - especially as its outside and unless he's smoking whilst lying down i rather doubt much smoke is going near the cats anyway.
Nobody2u
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are definitely over worrying! Are you going to stop cars driving up and down the street as well because fuel emissions are unhealthy, and/ or they might get run over.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are worrying too much. If the cats don't like it they will move elsewhere if they are free to do so. Also since your dad is smoking outside in the open, it dissipates fairly quickly anyway, and rises above. Unless your cats have wings and float in the air then it will barely affect them.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
He's smoking outside in his house not pouring petrol over them...
The attitude towards smokers on this forum; you'd think there's no difference. :lol:
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Rehome the cats
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads