Are audiobooks cheating?

Watch
most_cleverest
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do you think it's not really a proper way to "read" a book. What if you read the book at the same time? If you've listened to the audiobook only, can you tell other people you've read the book?
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think it's truly "reading". It's comparable to listening to music, podcasts or video with the screen off. Books are for readers, audiobooks are for listeners.
username1212337
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by most_cleverest)
Do you think it's not really a proper way to "read" a book. What if you read the book at the same time? If you've listened to the audiobook only, can you tell other people you've read the book?
I honestly love audiobooks because I have 0 attention span so it makes it easier to read along. To me, audiobooks count as reading as it doesn't actually differ much from books.
Sometimes I will tell people it was an audiobook but I usually leave it out as its irrelevant.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it is a different way of engaging but I don't know that it is better or worse, both reading and listening are language processing activities

Some people listen to music deeply whereas others listen passively, and I think the same is true of reading, so I'm not that fast to draw these distinctions
JAckieee.chan
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not cheating. It's more like you are not treating your mind and heart fairly when you're listening to audiobooks instead of reading them.
And when you read your brain gives different voices to different characters which makes it feel more real than that single-voiced audiobook.
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by most_cleverest)
I don’t think so :nah: i love winding down by listening to them. Generally I find them easier to focus on (I have a tendency to keep rereading things because some hthings don’t always make sense the first time round.
I just tell people I read the book they don’t need to know the how I read it :yep:
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Listen to an audiobook is not cheating, it is a joy for everyone's ears: readers with an intuition for intonation and emotions are better than merely reading.
Obadiah Thomas
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I believe that focused and attentive listening to an audiobook can be equated with reading books, since we are all different and we all perceive this or that information differently. For some, reading paper books may be less effective than listening to audiobooks because they are better able to perceive information in audio format.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes of course its a good way of reading and should be positively encouraged. What kind of moron would think of it as 'cheating'?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (358)
84.04%
No (68)
15.96%

Watched Threads