joint degree vs study abroad

Watch
username1212337
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am planning on applying to Dundee for biomed/biological sciences this year. They offer a joint degree with the national University of Singapore. However, other unis also offer study abroad opportunities there. What is the difference between a joint degree and study abroad?
pineapplemango
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username1212337)
I am planning on applying to Dundee for biomed/biological sciences this year. They offer a joint degree with the national University of Singapore. However, other unis also offer study abroad opportunities there. What is the difference between a joint degree and study abroad?
Joint Degree - You study two subjects at the same time, that then are combined into one degree. You could for example study a degree in Business and a degree in Politics at the same time, and then you graduate with a BA in Business and Politics. So in your case you would get a BA or MA in Biomed and Biological Sciences. So if you went this route you would get a double degree while also studying abroad at University of Singapore.

Study Abroad - You study part of your degree abroad. So you study one subject, but do one semester in a different country the same way as if you would have done it at your primary university. This would usually just be a singular degree.

I think the Joint Degree route is the best option that would provide you with the best education, because you kind of get two degrees AND get to study abroad.
username1212337
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by pineapplemango)
Joint Degree - You study two subjects at the same time, that then are combined into one degree. You could for example study a degree in Business and a degree in Politics at the same time, and then you graduate with a BA in Business and Politics. So in your case you would get a BA or MA in Biomed and Biological Sciences. So if you went this route you would get a double degree while also studying abroad at University of Singapore.

Study Abroad - You study part of your degree abroad. So you study one subject, but do one semester in a different country the same way as if you would have done it at your primary university. This would usually just be a singular degree.

I think the Joint Degree route is the best option that would provide you with the best education, because you kind of get two degrees AND get to study abroad.
Thank you
I was confused as I assumed joint degree meant that it would be two universities not two subjects. I will be applying to this course then
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.8%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (13)
16.46%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.39%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.71%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.72%

Watched Threads