Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi - I’ve been doing some research into ADHD and I think it’s possible that it’s a condition I have. I’m a girl and while I’ve achieved top grades at school all my life I feel that the symptoms of ADHD match my behaviour and maybe even explain some of it.

Obviously I know that the only person I can get advice from is a doctor but I have a list of my main issues that have made me question if I have ADHD. Do you think you would be able to tell me if it’s worth going to the doctor about this?

- [ ] losing important items (my visor at work, keys, phone, pen, sheets of paper at school) which prevent me from doing the task i am currently trying to carry out
- [ ] poor short term memory, mostly when people ask me to do things i forget to do them
- [ ] easily distracted from tasks eg when tidying my room i will think of a song to listen to or a person to message and forget to finish tidying
- [ ] procrastinates for no valid reason - eg every night i will lie on my bed and procrastinate brushing my teeth which i have to do before i go to sleep, even though i feel really tired and bored and have nothing else to do and really want to get ready for bed
- [ ] constantly wanting to start new tasks and take on projects but also finding it tricky to finish ones i’ve started
- [ ] finding it difficult to stick to deadlines or be on time (always a rush to get out of the house on time)

Are these symptoms possibly ADHD and is it worth seeking advice from a professional?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Hello!
ADHD notoriously overlaps with other disorders so its worth talking to a professional. Also, generally its very difficult to get a diagnosed at a later so even if you have adhd it might be difficult to get a diagnoses. Even if you do you might not get diagnosed as such so I would also recommend ahdh support groups. They offer a lot of good advice!

If you already has a suspicion consider getting it checked out.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello!
ADHD notoriously overlaps with other disorders so its worth talking to a professional. Also, generally its very difficult to get a diagnosed at a later so even if you have adhd it might be difficult to get a diagnoses. Even if you do you might not get diagnosed as such so I would also recommend ahdh support groups. They offer a lot of good advice!

If you already has a suspicion consider getting it checked out.
Okay thank you! I’m afraid to go seeking a diagnosis to be honest because it feels like admitting I’m lazy and disorganised and that it will all be for nothing if I don’t get one. Do you know if all of these issues I’ve described can be considered symptoms of ADHD? (Even if that’s not what it is with me) Do you also know what other disorders ADHD overlaps with?
BrDy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ADHD overlaps with Dyspraxia, ASD, Bipolar and a bunch more. (I wouldn't say bipolar would explain what you're experiencing though!)
I don't know all that much aout ADHD, but from my limited knowledge everything you list sounds like it could be covered by ADHD (but also dyspraxia more or less from what I know too)
As the person above and you said, speak to your GP If you're worried about "seeking a diganosis" you don't necessarily have to go and say "I think I have adhd" you can just go and say- im experiecing these things and it's impacting my ability to function on a daily basis etc.
anyway, yeah good luck with it becuase getting diagnosises takes so so long, especially if you're older
CoochieMan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've got ADHD and experience similar symptoms but I am not a professional! As people have said above, ADHD symptoms do overlap with a bunch of other mental conditions, so it's best to get help from a professional
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads