Am I going to be kicked out of my Pharmacy course?

Watch
Girlyoof
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So hi, this is embarrassing, but I need you guys’ help...

I’m in foundation year btw. I missed an exam and I had to resit the exam obviously because I got a zero. I passed every other module - except for the module where I missed the exam. For every module you have to achieve 60% to get through to first year. I’m obviously not going to get 60% for the module I missed exam in, because the resit exam is capped to 40%. In my results letter they didn’t explicitly say they’ll kick me out, (they said I did not pass the year and I had to resit) but I’m not sure they’re let me in with a grade below 60% 😬

Is my university still going to let me into first year?
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Girlyoof)
So hi, this is embarrassing, but I need you guys’ help...

I’m in foundation year btw. I missed an exam and I had to resit the exam obviously because I got a zero. I passed every other module - except for the module where I missed the exam. For every module you have to achieve 60% to get through to first year. I’m obviously not going to get 60% for the module I missed exam in, because the resit exam is capped to 40%. In my results letter they didn’t explicitly say they’ll kick me out, (they said I did not pass the year and I had to resit) but I’m not sure they’re let me in with a grade below 60% 😬

Is my university still going to let me into first year?
Hey there,

Have you spoken to your tutors yet about how this will work? From the way you have worded it, by asking you to resit and that you have not passed the year, this usually means you will be repeating the foundation year next year. If this is the case, speak to your tutors about how progression to the first year of the course works and whether you will be at a disadvantage.

Let me know if you have any other questions though - good luck with it all.
Girlyoof
Rep:
?
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
Hey there,

Have you spoken to your tutors yet about how this will work? From the way you have worded it, by asking you to resit and that you have not passed the year, this usually means you will be repeating the foundation year next year. If this is the case, speak to your tutors about how progression to the first year of the course works and whether you will be at a disadvantage.

Let me know if you have any other questions though - good luck with it all.
Thank you for your response.

No, you don’t repeat the year, you either are dismissed (they did not say they will dismiss me) from university or the module is condoned, but you have to prove that you will improve in that module to get into next year. This is done by writing up a clear academic plan showing how you’ll improve.

That’s what I read on my university website. Im still at a loss for what’s going to happen... I should ask my tutor but I’m kind of ashamed
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Girlyoof)
Thank you for your response.

No, you don’t repeat the year, you either are dismissed (they did not say they will dismiss me) from university or the module is condoned, but you have to prove that you will improve in that module to get into next year. This is done by writing up a clear academic plan showing how you’ll improve.

That’s what I read on my university website. Im still at a loss for what’s going to happen... I should ask my tutor but I’m kind of ashamed
There's nothing to be ashamed of, except if missing the first exam was dimness on your part, rather than some disaster.

They won't dismiss you - if they were going to do that, why bother to get you to resit the exam and cap it etc. It sounds like a software issue that can't tell the difference in a capped 40% grade and a straight bad paper 40% grade.

Speak to a tutor, depending what grade you really got on the paper you will either get the additional plan/support or progress to the next year with nothing - except maybe a lesson learnt in exam planning.
Girlyoof
Rep:
?
All resit exams, without extenuating circumstances, are capped to 40%, it’s not a software issue.

And it’s exactly that - dimness on my part. It’s a lesson learnt the hard way.

Thank you for both of your responses, I’m going to wait and see what happens.

Update: They let me in, I’ll never stupidly miss an exam again 😓
Last edited by Girlyoof; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (362)
84.19%
No (68)
15.81%

Watched Threads