Saskia.04
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If you're happy with it, I'd like to use your opinions in my EPQ, don't worry you'll remain anonymous.
In my EPQ I'm evaluating whether capitalism is the correct economic system for our country.

So I'd like to ask you on your thoughts about how the UK government dealt with everything regarding the pandemic from March 2020 - March 2021 and how the government's choices impacted you. It can be either positive or negative or a bit of both and I'd really appreciate your honesty.
Please no judging in the comment section. Thank you to everyone contributing.
Maykulka
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ooo I love the topic!!
I think the best way to attack it is to see how the death rates and hospitalisation increased after any big decisions.
You could argue how them ending lockdown last month is very risky. they are putting thousands of lives in danger and their reasoning behind it is that if they opened businesses any later then the economy would decrease. So it's really saying yes people may suffer but we need to get money from sales so it's ok. You can interpret this however you want and evaluate which reason is more important.
Also, I would defiantly talk about how late we went into lockdown 1 and how many lives it would have saved. They also were really hesitant to cancel GCSE's this year and again there reasoning was that they wanted everyone to have a fair chance. Which yes is important but then again is it really more important than preserving lives?
And also how Boris Johnson got covid after they said we should sing happy birthday while washing our hands. I just think it's kind of ironic but it's away from your topic.

But yeah I would maybe talk about, the timing of lockdowns, masks in shops, living of masks while there is still a pandemic and new variants in France and Germany, mixed messages of staying at home but vising family, closing schools late, cancelling exams late and maybe not wanting to give money to poor families in the holidays for lunches.

(Everyone has their own views so please be respectful!)

Good luck!
juicygcse
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Saskia.04)
If you're happy with it, I'd like to use your opinions in my EPQ, don't worry you'll remain anonymous.
In my EPQ I'm evaluating whether capitalism is the correct economic system for our country.

So I'd like to ask you on your thoughts about how the UK government dealt with everything regarding the pandemic from March 2020 - March 2021 and how the government's choices impacted you. It can be either positive or negative or a bit of both and I'd really appreciate your honesty.
Please no judging in the comment section. Thank you to everyone contributing.
For context, I'm going into year 12 in September

I think the government was too focused on trying to make everyone happy and not enough on decisive action. For example, they waited to put India on the red-list, even when their infection rate was very high and they had the new delta variant, therefore allowing the delta variant to run rampant in the UK as well. They also seem to make decisions on a whim without really considering the effects they have. For example, closing/reopening schools without giving teachers warning or advice, cancelling exams but not giving any indication on how grades would be given for a long time after (both years), vaccines being required for nightclubs without thinking about immunocompromised people that can't get the vaccine, just immunocompromised people in general. Then you have the fact that the important government figures (Dominic Cummings, Matt Hancock) can't even follow their own advice, or even pretend to, and the government just looks like an absolute joke. They've done pretty well with the vaccine rollout is about the only positive I can think of, but then again that is probably due to my own bias and the kind of media I choose to consume

As someone who did their GCSEs (or would've done) this year, the grading was complete bull. I ended up doing something like 38 mini-exams, but the inequalities between different subjects/teachers was massive (e.g. some told you what topics were going to come up, some even told you which papers they were taking questions from, design technology we did the same product design paper as our mock and we went through the first resistant materials paper literally 3 hours before the exam). Yet for the subjects they didn't give us inside information on, we were thrown into them having literally never done a proper past paper (online mocks everyone just cheated on, and half of them were multiple choice anyway). Also, it was literally a postcode lottery, for A Levels the grade average was lowest in the NE and gradually got higher as you went down the country. So on one end you have people with ridiculously inflated grades that no one will every take seriously, and on the other you have people screwed over because they had teachers that didn't like them.
Saskia.04
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Maykulka)
Ooo I love the topic!!
I think the best way to attack it is to see how the death rates and hospitalisation increased after any big decisions.
You could argue how them ending lockdown last month is very risky. they are putting thousands of lives in danger and their reasoning behind it is that if they opened businesses any later then the economy would decrease. So it's really saying yes people may suffer but we need to get money from sales so it's ok. You can interpret this however you want and evaluate which reason is more important.
Also, I would defiantly talk about how late we went into lockdown 1 and how many lives it would have saved. They also were really hesitant to cancel GCSE's this year and again there reasoning was that they wanted everyone to have a fair chance. Which yes is important but then again is it really more important than preserving lives?
And also how Boris Johnson got covid after they said we should sing happy birthday while washing our hands. I just think it's kind of ironic but it's away from your topic.

But yeah I would maybe talk about, the timing of lockdowns, masks in shops, living of masks while there is still a pandemic and new variants in France and Germany, mixed messages of staying at home but vising family, closing schools late, cancelling exams late and maybe not wanting to give money to poor families in the holidays for lunches.

(Everyone has their own views so please be respectful!)

Good luck!
Thank you so much, I love this response. I'll definitely tackle it from an angle of the timing of the decisions made. Again, thank you.
Saskia.04
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by juicygcse)
For context, I'm going into year 12 in September

I think the government was too focused on trying to make everyone happy and not enough on decisive action. For example, they waited to put India on the red-list, even when their infection rate was very high and they had the new delta variant, therefore allowing the delta variant to run rampant in the UK as well. They also seem to make decisions on a whim without really considering the effects they have. For example, closing/reopening schools without giving teachers warning or advice, cancelling exams but not giving any indication on how grades would be given for a long time after (both years), vaccines being required for nightclubs without thinking about immunocompromised people that can't get the vaccine, just immunocompromised people in general. Then you have the fact that the important government figures (Dominic Cummings, Matt Hancock) can't even follow their own advice, or even pretend to, and the government just looks like an absolute joke. They've done pretty well with the vaccine rollout is about the only positive I can think of, but then again that is probably due to my own bias and the kind of media I choose to consume

As someone who did their GCSEs (or would've done) this year, the grading was complete bull. I ended up doing something like 38 mini-exams, but the inequalities between different subjects/teachers was massive (e.g. some told you what topics were going to come up, some even told you which papers they were taking questions from, design technology we did the same product design paper as our mock and we went through the first resistant materials paper literally 3 hours before the exam). Yet for the subjects they didn't give us inside information on, we were thrown into them having literally never done a proper past paper (online mocks everyone just cheated on, and half of them were multiple choice anyway). Also, it was literally a postcode lottery, for A Levels the grade average was lowest in the NE and gradually got higher as you went down the country. So on one end you have people with ridiculously inflated grades that no one will every take seriously, and on the other you have people screwed over because they had teachers that didn't like them.
I completely agree with you on the inequality with grades across the country. Another topic that I'll definitely discuss that because you've shone the spotlight on for me, so thank you so much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (363)
84.22%
No (68)
15.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise