najmajama2002
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just finished my first year at university of reading studying Pharmacy . As great as the course there is , I just never clicked with Reading as much as I should . My dream has always been UCL , but due to COVID-19 I couldn’t do my exams at 2020 so my grades given to me didn’t match the entry requirements.

Anyway, I’m really passionate about going to UCL . So I talked to a career advisor at my current uni and they told me the only way I could stand a chance is “retaking” my a levels and apply .

The risky thing here is that I could lose my place in reading by doing this as I can’t transfer so I’d have to start again .
Another dilemma I have is I’m not sure how the student finance would work , I feel like I would be in more student debt . I feel my main worry is not getting in and losing my place at reading , but then also losing any chance at uni life in UCL .

Any advice ?
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by najmajama2002)
I just finished my first year at university of reading studying Pharmacy . As great as the course there is , I just never clicked with Reading as much as I should . My dream has always been UCL , but due to COVID-19 I couldn’t do my exams at 2020 so my grades given to me didn’t match the entry requirements.

Anyway, I’m really passionate about going to UCL . So I talked to a career advisor at my current uni and they told me the only way I could stand a chance is “retaking” my a levels and apply .

The risky thing here is that I could lose my place in reading by doing this as I can’t transfer so I’d have to start again .
Another dilemma I have is I’m not sure how the student finance would work , I feel like I would be in more student debt . I feel my main worry is not getting in and losing my place at reading , but then also losing any chance at uni life in UCL .

Any advice ?
Contact UCL with your current A level grades and your first year results, and ask for advice about whether they'd accept resits and whether your first year results hold any weight (make sure you clarify you're asking about first year entry, not transferring to year 2). They'll be very busy at the minute so you may have a wait, but they're the best place to advise on any academic requirements for going there.

When it comes to student finance, if you left Reading now you'd only have used your gift year, so you'd be fully funded for the full UCL course. However, UCL don't historically do Clearing, so you'd have to be applying in the next UCAS cycle for 2022 entry, leaving you a year with nothing to do - if you stayed at Reading for second year, you wouldn't be funded for first year at UCL. There may be an option to suspend your studies for a year instead of withdrawing, but you probably need a better reason for that than "I want to save my funding so I can go somewhere else" (see Reading's page here: https://www.reading.ac.uk/essentials...ns/Suspensions).

If you don't have any fundamental issues with Reading (just think that you'd prefer UCL, and hence feel Reading isn't quite right), I'd be inclined to suggest you stay at Reading - you could be halfway finished with your course by the time you'd even be able to start at UCL, and you'd have saved all the money and stress of resitting A levels 2 years after you last studied them. However, if you somehow managed to get a suspension approved, you would in theory be able to take a year out to resit A levels and apply to UCL without impacting your funding or losing your Reading place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.57%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
19.05%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.71%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.52%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
19.05%

Watched Threads