AdamSamir
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m unsure if this forum is outdated - since every post I’ve ever really looked at has always been 5+ years old lol. However, I’m curious to know from anyone with first-hand experience what the international opportunities are like for Brits with law degrees from the UK (it will be from a Russel Group Uni if that helps🙄) as I’ve just completed my first year with a 1st but the long term goal has always been to get the hell out of here as soon as I get my undergrad.

I am already aware of a similar pathway whereby you secure a position is a magic circle firm and then get allocated in one of their international offices. But I’m really just looking to find out the opportunities there may be to apply for international positions and subsequently get accepted and relocate. Also what the salary would look like.

I only mention salary because if I was to secure a position in a London firm and be relocated, the salary is the same - and living off of hypothetically £90k (post training contract) while living in Singapore sounds like heaven. Yet if I was to secure a position in a local Singaporean firm the salary would be no where near that.

I hope my poor attempt to explain my logic was
winson_0106
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you Singaporean? or Foreigner from other countries?
AdamSamir
Rep:
?
(Original post by winson_0106)
Are you Singaporean? or Foreigner from other countries?
No I’m Egyptian but have lived in the UK since I was 2.
winson_0106
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AdamSamir)
No I’m Egyptian but have lived in the UK since I was 2.
I am Malaysian and both of my parents working in Singapore, I can say Singapore is a tax heaven, in terms of the lifestyle it can't be, stressful work environment, prolonged working hours (overtime is sometimes inevitable, it depends on the nature of work). If you care bout work/life balance, Singapore isn't a good choice, but I'd give it thumbs up for its career development.

Singapore Bar Council is extremely strict, if you want to admit to their Bar Council you have to be SG national / Permanent Resident, so I think you're eliminated.
AdamSamir
Rep:
?
(Original post by winson_0106)
I am Malaysian and both of my parents working in Singapore, I can say Singapore is a tax heaven, in terms of the lifestyle it can't be, stressful work environment, prolonged working hours (overtime is sometimes inevitable, it depends on the nature of work). If you care bout work/life balance, Singapore isn't a good choice, but I'd give it thumbs up for its career development.

Singapore Bar Council is extremely strict, if you want to admit to their Bar Council you have to be SG national / Permanent Resident, so I think you're eliminated.
Wow that’s really interesting. So does that mean no British nations can ever be a candidate for positions in Singapore? Unless of could you gain citizenship/ obtain residency visa?
camapplicant530
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cayman/BVI/UAE/Bermuda. All the offshore jurisdictions pay at the MC/US level, for the British ones there is no need for any further qualification, although there’s a new 5PQE requirement for Cayman coming in soon.

The quality of life in Singapore is great, but you need to bear in mind that the concept of freehold ownership doesn’t really exist and leases are extremely short; it isn’t the paradise you think it is. If you want to benefit from the tax you’ll need to be on a local contract - that doesn’t necessarily mean working for a local firm, but it does mean that the move needs to be permanent, not a secondment. I think you can look from 2-3PQE
winson_0106
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AdamSamir)
Wow that’s really interesting. So does that mean no British nations can ever be a candidate for positions in Singapore? Unless of could you gain citizenship/ obtain residency visa?
Yes, unless exceptional circumstances, I ain't so sure about it but the requirement is strict. You may try working for international firm with outpost in Singapore, that's one of the best opportunities, or in-house council for a company.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads